500rr-s fuel mileage

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Re: 500rr-s fuel mileage

Postby Ben500RS » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:47 pm

rognar wrote:I just got back from some mountain riding with my 2018 480 rr re which consisted of lots of single track and some connecter roads. We did 67 miles and I added 1/2 gallon of fuel to the stock tank plus another 32oz to make it to the truck. I have 30 hrs on the bike and only get 25 mpg consistently. I am having a ball riding the bike but the fuel economy is garbage. Is this normal?

Off road, I'm about where you are as I also have the stock tank and I have gotten right around 50 miles from the 2 gallons. I think that the off-road mileage is ok as on the road, I might get about 40 mpg.

My buddy with a KTM 380 can't keep the fuel in the tank and he runs a 3.8 gallon tank on his bike. My 500 RR-S sips the fuel compared to his 380cc two stroke.

What really got me thinking that your post is funny is that I sure as hell didn't buy the bike to get the best or most MPG on the trails. It was definitely my last, no, it was not on my radar as to considerations I had made when buying a dirtbike/dual sport/the very best enduro bike I could ride on both the dirt and the street. Then again, when we "ride", we have very well defined areas/trails we can ride on so all we can do is ride out, ride around, then eventually ride back to the truck/trailer and fuel back up. We sure don't have the vastness that others have on here with such wide-open places where, ok, I can see where maybe a 10 or 20 mile extra range from a stock-tankful of fuel might be good but if it were that much of a problem, I'd just get a bigger tank.

I very much doubt that I'll ever get a bigger tank as the stock tank has been working well for me.

On the snowbike I carry a 1 gallon RotoPax fuel jug and I might have needed it once this past winter while a buddy had needed it twice. Using the bike as a snowbike SUCKS the fuel as I'm constantly at from 5,000 to 8,000 but it sure is fun.
Ben500RS

Postby rognar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:02 am

^^^ Well I agree with most of that. I did the same ride last year with my 17 ktm 300. With the stock tank and Lectron carb I did not need additional fuel, and neither did my buddy on his KTM 500. The big 480 is a blast to ride, and I love the chassis. I just thought that I would get more range on the stock tank. I guarantee that I will be packing and using 3 extra gallons on the tunnel of the timbersled.

I guess I was more curious if there was a reflash or something that helped? Oh well. It's still a great bike.
rognar

Postby Ben500RS » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:31 am

I'm sure that Beta has not, for one single second, considered the MPG in the overall tuning of the bike rather, to make power and to make it useable, and to meet whatever EPA mandate they have to in order to make the RR-S road-legal.

There is one dealer-software update that can be made and that has to do with an FMF exhaust that one can put on the bike, otherwise I have seen a handheld tuner but the one guy on TT who was going to buy and install it didn't end up going through with it and besides, the guy was NOT buying it to try and get Prius levels of MPG but rather to go the other way and to use more fuel and extract MORE power.

I was lucky this past winter as I got to ride all around my brother in law's so we could do any number of loops that would put us right back in his backyard to re-fuel anytime we needed to so range was not a concern.
Ben500RS

Postby Amurican Dirt Rider » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:41 am

allkidd wrote:Guys,

I purchased my 2018 500rr-s, at least partially to ride on long rides. Thinking 4 gallons would be plenty, I purchased the 4 gallon IMS tank. Now I'm finding that 100 miles is about max on a tank. My KTM 500 friends don't use nearly as much gas as I do and I weigh less than all of the KTM friends.

I guess that I have a couple questions. What kind of mileage do others get on their Beta 4 strokes? My other thought is whether the rain or sun mode make a difference in mileage? I've been running sun mode pretty much the whole time and I'm hoping that it will do better in rain mode.

Now that you've no doubt put more time and miles on the bike, did the MPG get a little better? Did you ever end up modifying the bike and seeing any change?
2019 Beta 500 RR-S
1993 CR125R
2005 TT-R230
Amurican Dirt Rider

Postby Muddaholic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:05 pm

" [color=#FF4040][/color]just got back from some mountain riding with my 2018 480 rr re which consisted of lots of single track and some connecter roads. We did 67 miles and I added 1/2 gallon of fuel to the stock tank plus another 32oz to make it to the truck. I have 30 hrs on the bike and only get 25 mpg consistently. I am having a ball riding the bike but the fuel economy is garbage. Is this normal? "

In a word NO. Something is wrong . Most likely Throttle body.
Muddaholic

Postby Amurican Dirt Rider » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:01 am

Reviving an old thread hear, but I'm curious if the OP ever figured out the issue. My 500 has definitely seen better MPG miles after a good break in period. I've hit the gas light once with the small 2 gallon tank, after just over 80 miles of all trail riding. Is this about what most people see?
2019 Beta 500 RR-S
1993 CR125R
2005 TT-R230
Amurican Dirt Rider

Previous

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke