Had my fill-side radiator repaired

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Had my fill-side radiator repaired

Postby Ben500RS » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:07 am

When I first got my bike, the very bottom pipe on the fill side radiator leaked. I pushed the hose as far up the pipe as I could and also had to double clamp the pipe to get the leak to stop, which it did.

Fast forward to a couple of Wednesdays ago when I rode in the hardest, 1-2" per hour rain I had ever ridden in and while it was not too muddy as the land we were riding on was more sandy than muddy, it was still very slippery and I made the error of trying to both turn and brake on the spaces in between the quad tracks and must have laid the bike down at least 3-4 times and what happened is the upturned pipe on the back of the fill-side radiator got smushed and the seam between the pipe and the bottom of the radiator opened so it leaked.

I took the radiator to my local radiator shop and I had dropped it off on a Thursday, and as he is closed Fri, Sat and Sun, by Tuesday the radiator was repaired and returned to me. He did a great job on the pipe that had then spun in the radiator and either welded or soldered it back into place, made sure the radiator did not leak-tested it, and even straightened it out as it was a bit twisted.

I had filled the bike back up with some Prestone pre-diluted antifreeze/coolant and no leaks and the bike is running great again.
Ben500RS

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke