2017 500 RR-S, no-start, in the shop now, waiting . . .

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

2017 500 RR-S, no-start, in the shop now, waiting . . .

Postby Ben500RS » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:23 am

I exhausted all I know and all the leads/suggestions for my no-start problem on my 2017 500 RR-S.

My bike started having issues that all had to do with the harness, what is called the Front Harness for Services that goes up and wraps around the headstock. Wires were pinched/crushed/separated and generally messed up over time from crappy wire routing/not enough slack. Once I finally replaced the harness this past early-August, all the intermittent problems went away.

A few weeks ago, the e-start just stopped working and then suddenly, it would work, and then not work. Same thing with the kickstarter, at first the bike would fire and run with the kickstarter and then, eventually, the kickstarter would not get the bike started.

Long story short of what I had tried, the bike went to the shop Monday evening and I was told "A couple of days", today is day 3. I'm hoping to get a phone call sometime today. My fear is that they can't figure out why the e-starter won't work and why the bike won't start on the kicker but I'm sure they know how to test if the starter is good and for spark and everything else related to electrical gremlins so I wait and will post up when I get "the call."
Ben500RS

Re: 2017 500 RR-S, no-start, in the shop now, waiting . . .

Postby Ben500RS » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:53 pm

A full third day has now just gone by with no phone call.
Ben500RS

Postby adamsrk15 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 am

I know you probably did, but did you check both 10a fuses under the seat. Not just visually, but replace them? I had this issue brand new. I am an electronics technician and see fuses blown and also fuses just not making a good connection due to oxidation. I usually clean with electronics cleaner and install a new fuse by putting it in and out a couple of times. Stop, just stop lol, I know what you are thinking. Just the fuse.
2018 500 rr-s, 3gal IMS, Fastway pegs and Bark Busters, FMF PC4 (17' 480 rr FMF Map 0),Powerbomb, Beta racing Triple, Stillwell performance suspension, Steel gears, oversize water pump, Timbersled ARO137 LE, Raze coolant heated bars, Seat Concepts
adamsrk15

Postby Ben500RS » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:01 pm

I did, pull out both the 10A fuses in the starter relay, and then put them back in as well as changed them out with new 10A fuses with no joy. I had tried every suggestion given to me with no luck at all. I will admit though that I did not test to see if the starter was good or not-dumb-me.

I called the shop this morning and they said that the bike needs a new starter so I will wait for them to let me know when it is in and the bike is ready. I'm hoping that that is all it is.
Ben500RS

Postby Deck1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Anything new to report?
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby Ben500RS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Bike was dropped of 09/24. I got the bike back this afternoon and all is right again in Betaland.

The starter was tested and was somehow shorted(internally). The starter $263.40 was replaced. 1 hour of labor at $89 per hour.

The bike had a code, "Low Voltage at the Fuel Pump". Tech had found corrosion on the fuel pump relay connection. They cleaned it, dielectric greased it, tested the bike and it started and ran.

I got the bike back and it starts up on the button just like before. I also kickstarted the bike and I also got it to start that way. When the e-start stopped working, the bike was still able to be kickstarted but after a day, I could not get the bike to kickstart and it was probably the corrosion on the fuel pump relay that happened to act up at the same time the starter had decided to go south.

I'm glad it was nothing else and nothing more costly. It just took a full three weeks to get fixed.
Ben500RS

Postby Ben500RS » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:18 pm

After five weeks of the bike not running/starting and being at the shop for three weeks out of the five, I had fully verified that the starter and bike are working as they were before my no-start saga.

Starting at 44 degrees Farenheit, the bike started and ran perfectly all day long. It made the three week wait while the bike was at the shop worth it as whatever the problem(s) were, have been fixed.
Ben500RS

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke