2016 350RR shuts off !

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

2016 350RR shuts off !

Postby bsig670 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:33 am

i have this Beta 350RR which died while running and wouldnt start up again, battery empty and impossible to kick start. Got home and put in a new battery amd it started right up and ran fine but shuts off after 6 seconds, starts right up again but always runs for just 6 seconds, any ideas? found a relay in the airbox (fuel pump relay?) which was full of corrosion but seemes to be making contact but im going to replace it anyways...
bsig670

Re: 2016 350RR shuts off !

Postby Ben500RS » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:54 am

I don't know why it shuts off but, does your bike have the tip-over switch?, where if the bike is on its side for 7 seconds, the bike shuts down on its own? Perhaps that is the culprit.
Ben500RS

Postby bsig670 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:25 am

thats the one behind the battery correct ?
bsig670

Postby Ben500RS » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:29 pm

Yes, that is it, the thing with wires going into it, mine is above the battery.

My suggestion for odd things that go on with these bikes is the front wiring harness(for services") as it is called by Beta. Wires get all scrambled/pinched/broken and odd stuff goes on.
Ben500RS

Postby Sweepea » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:29 am

bsig670 wrote:i have this Beta 350RR which died while running and wouldnt start up again, battery empty and impossible to kick start. Got home and put in a new battery amd it started right up and ran fine but shuts off after 6 seconds, starts right up again but always runs for just 6 seconds, any ideas? found a relay in the airbox (fuel pump relay?) which was full of corrosion but seemes to be making contact but im going to replace it anyways...

Try your connector from the stator to the regulator rectifier. I found the same symptoms out while checking/troubleshooting the stator output voltage. I unplugged the stator (three terminal plug in between the stator and the regulator/rectifier) and was checking the three phases for voltage and the bike would run for less than 10 seconds and shut off; start it back up again and it would shut off after 10 seconds just like you experienced (did it at least 3 times to read all three phases). Plugged the stator back in and the issue stopped. I would check your regulator/rectifier output plug also. I think the computer senses the stator output somehow and shuts the bike down if it doesn't see a signal from it. Interestingly though, after you start the bike, you can completely disconnect the battery and it will still run. Not having a complete wiring diagram and shop manual is a big PITA. Especially, when the Beta shops and technical help are so hard to find.
Sweepea

Postby no2tracks » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:44 pm

Sweepea wrote:
bsig670 wrote:i have this Beta 350RR which died while running and wouldnt start up again, battery empty and impossible to kick start. Got home and put in a new battery amd it started right up and ran fine but shuts off after 6 seconds, starts right up again but always runs for just 6 seconds, any ideas? found a relay in the airbox (fuel pump relay?) which was full of corrosion but seemes to be making contact but im going to replace it anyways...

Try your connector from the stator to the regulator rectifier. I found the same symptoms out while checking/troubleshooting the stator output voltage. I unplugged the stator (three terminal plug in between the stator and the regulator/rectifier) and was checking the three phases for voltage and the bike would run for less than 10 seconds and shut off; start it back up again and it would shut off after 10 seconds just like you experienced (did it at least 3 times to read all three phases). Plugged the stator back in and the issue stopped. I would check your regulator/rectifier output plug also. I think the computer senses the stator output somehow and shuts the bike down if it doesn't see a signal from it. Interestingly though, after you start the bike, you can completely disconnect the battery and it will still run. Not having a complete wiring diagram and shop manual is a big PITA. Especially, when the Beta shops and technical help are so hard to find.

I had the same problem with my 18 390 RR Racei. It would start, run for less than 5 seconds and quit. I found a dirty connector from the stator up under the tank. Careful which cleaner you spray with as mine swelled the seal and I almost couldn't reconnect.
18 390 RR Race
no2tracks

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke