16 480 not starting

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

16 480 not starting

Postby ian480RR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:05 am

Ok so i have been having electrical issues with the bike on and off for the last few months and after a ride last weekend the bike wont even start now. The bike was running ok then i had a very easy fall wile out riding, dropped bike on the left side over some wet logs. It wasn't anything hard just a lay over basically, when i picked the bike up it wouldn't fire at all. Would crank fine but not fire up, ended up rolling bike back to camp. Luckily it stuffed up not far away from camp and mostly downhill. Today i spent nearly all day working on the bike to try and find the cause, i have inspected all the wiring, sprayed and dioelectric greased the connectors but haven't found anything that looks like it would be causing issues like corroded connectors, Fuses are all good, has spark at the plug but wont fire so im thinking its a EFI, fuel issue or some other diode/dodgy electric part. Im not sure what to check next, i read somewhere about a sensor when the bike falls over that shuts it off has anyone had any issues with that being faulty and anyway of diverting it for testing purposes? If anyone can offer any other tips or things to check that would be great as im about to break out a can of petrol and a match and burn the ffn thing
ian480RR

Re: 16 480 not starting

Postby Deck1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Does the fuel pump pressure up when you turn the key on? The tipover switch is right to rear of battery, and held on with 2 Phillips screws, but I doubt that is the issue, as I think that would also cut spark. Likely fuel system related. What other symptoms were you experiencing prior to this? Did you check plug at injector? I have heard of corrosion there, or not latched correctly. When checking connectors, very gently push on terminal in connector to make sure they are latched correctly, and not pushing back when you join the 2 connectors. You can also gently tug on the wire from back of connector to check for same issue.
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby ian480RR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:32 pm

It does sound like the fuel pump is pressuring up but im not 100% sure, does it make a fan like noise after hitting the starter? i pulled the tip over switch and checked connectors and they were clean with no corrosion. there were no other symptoms at all leading up to this as we were out riding about a 25k loop and had a small layover on a wet log and bike wouldn't start after that. Previously (2 months ago) i was having electrical issues with battery not charging, replaced factory battery with new lithium and cleaned a heap of connectors and that seamed to fix it that time. I pulled 2x plugs off at injector and inspected but they were nice and clean and no sign of corrosion, i mite need to check and pull all of them as there seems to be 1 or 2 that had screw connections under the plug. I will need to find a diagram of efi to know which ones to remove
ian480RR

Postby ian480RR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:03 pm

i had added some photos of the elec connectors i have checked on efi system the ones i have circled i have unclipped and checked but they all appear to be clean and fresh as they have a rubber seal at the base. I have noticed that some of the plugs have screws under them that go into efi should i be removing all the connectors rite down to alloy efi body?
Attachments
2018-10-27 06.51.31.jpg
2018-10-27 06.51.31.jpg (191.71 KiB) Viewed 7816 times
2018-10-27 06.50.42.jpg
2018-10-27 06.50.42.jpg (153.88 KiB) Viewed 7816 times
ian480RR

Postby Deck1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:20 pm

When you turn key on, you should here fuel pumps in fuel tank come on, even before you hit start button. It will pressurize fuel system, then stop. If you don't here that, you probably need to check for power at fuel pumps.
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby ian480RR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:57 pm

there is no key to turn on with the 480rr just press start button and off it goes (well used too!!). I will check the cables that run to fuel tank again but they looked ok when i cleaned them yesterday.
ian480RR

Postby ian480RR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:22 pm

just pulled every electrical connector i could find on the bike and checked/dielectric greased everything, as i hit the starter the fuel pump kicked in and is priming/running ok but still the bike wont start just winds over. Anyone think of anything else that's worth checking or i mite be missing here.
ian480RR

Postby Ben500RS » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:03 am

You will need to peel into the "front wiring harness for services" that is the loom that goes around the headstock of the bike on the throttle side.

On mine and others' bikes, the too short length of wiring gets pinched/hung up and the wires get crushed and separated and until one slices the covering on the harness, one can't see which wires may have come apart.

I had the same issue with the bike not wanting to start, just a crank-crank-crank but no fire. I had issues for months with the harness and as a result, at the start of this past August, I just replaced the harness for some $140 and all the issues went away.
Ben500RS

Postby ian480RR » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:46 am

good idea about checking the wire loom as i had been thinking that could be the problem. So i spent most of the day stripping the wire loom open and inspecting the entire thing from front to back and didn't find a bend, squash or damaged wire in the whole loom. What i have come up with sofar is it must be damage to the efi system somehow as its not injecting fuel. The bike will fire with a squirt of airostart so that rules out most of the wiring for the ignition system. Any ideas on what to check with the EFI system that could be causing this? Im starting to regret buying an EFI bike now :oops:
ian480RR

Postby Ben500RS » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:50 am

There was a goodwill warranty of the condenser and diode where Beta is giving them to customers for free. They are located behind the airbox, on the airbox panel-side and just in front of the toolbag. Yours could have corrosion on/in them as they had replaced the parts with new ones that are sealed in a clear epoxy instead of being wrapped by black shrink wrap.
Ben500RS

Next

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke