Battery issue

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Re: Battery issue

Postby tindale » Fri May 03, 2019 7:28 am

aj_mariner wrote:A very low resistance across the windings are generally a good thing, and subject to the accuracy of your meter. Resistance from winding to ground/casing/frame/negative should be very very high and shows if your winding insulation has broken down or been damaged. For reference, my Fluke reads 0.3ohms across large and small motor windings, as well as when the test leads touch.
Also, in your original post you said that you have 13.4VDC out of the new voltage regulator. This should be an indication of a good alternator.

Very frustrating aj, I will check again today outputs hot and cold and see if I get an anomaly. Already bought a regulatorfor no reason, do not want to do the same with the stator. Agreed the output of the stator seems fine but the 0 ohms is troubling. Will try to get an accurate ac output tonight as it would only idle last night for 5 seconds or so with the plug to the regulator unhooked so my readings were rushed. Thanks for your comments , much appreciated.
tindale

Postby aj_mariner » Fri May 03, 2019 7:41 am

In my opinion, I would move past the stator. Disconnect your start switch and check the resistance. A changing resistance, as measured between 8 and 50ohms, is a good indication of a weathered switch. But both of those resistances are too low for a switch that should read “OL” when not depressed.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby tindale » Fri May 03, 2019 9:18 am

By start switch, are you refering to the button on the bars or the starter relay switch ?
tindale

Postby aj_mariner » Fri May 03, 2019 12:31 pm

Start button
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby tindale » Sun May 12, 2019 5:32 am

Disconnected start switch , still getting a low resistance reading, traced wires back to starter relay and can find no problems, everything is tight , no corrosion . When I disconnect the plug to the sarter relay I get OL reading . I have bought another battery now and will ride it this week but will take my multimeter with me on the trail and check the battery every time we stop, hopefully I can catch it on the way down and may be better to diagnose then .
tindale

Postby aj_mariner » Sun May 12, 2019 5:39 am

I have to check my bike to see what plug you’re referring to. Until the problem is found, I would disconnect your battery after every ride
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby dirtbill » Mon May 13, 2019 6:16 pm

mark:

If it makes you feel any better, my bike is down for the count at present. in no particular order it got very hot and started pressuring the engine cases this last week, I figured at the least I had rings gone bad. on teardown I found valve seals leaking, rings gone and a burned valve. It also looks kinda like the headgasket was weeping a bit? lots of dough in parts later I think I will have it up and running in about a week.
dirtbill

Postby Marty Moose » Mon May 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Mine has also just killed a Battery however it is 12 months old, no warning just dead. I'll keep you posted on what I find. Charging voltage is all I've checked its 13.2, it was a glass mat battery and I can see where it leaked so maybe its just faulty. I did fit a Lipo out of mates 2st and rode all day no issues.

MM
Marty Moose

Postby aj_mariner » Mon May 13, 2019 9:57 pm

tindale wrote:Disconnected start switch , still getting a low resistance reading, traced wires back to starter relay and can find no problems, everything is tight , no corrosion . When I disconnect the plug to the sarter relay I get OL reading . I have bought another battery now and will ride it this week but will take my multimeter with me on the trail and check the battery every time we stop, hopefully I can catch it on the way down and may be better to diagnose then .

Were your resistance readings for all of this taken at the battery leads, just like before?
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby tindale » Tue May 14, 2019 5:41 am

Yes readings taken as before.
tindale

PreviousNext

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke