Fuel leaking from fuel pump on 2017 480rr

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Fuel leaking from fuel pump on 2017 480rr

Postby coopernicus » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:38 pm

I just got done putting on an IMS 3.0 tank on my 2017 Beta 480rr today and after installation, I have a significant fuel leak coming from the fuel pump hose fitting. I does not leak until the bike is running. It did not leak before the swap so I either failed as a mechanic or the fuel pump did not like the manipulation during the tank removal/installation. I bought the bike used with around 500 miles and the owner had both the stock and larger tank on the bike at any given time so there have been multiple tank swaps. Has anyone heard anything like this? While swapping the tank, also noticed weeping valve cover after a year and close to 1K miles on the odometer. This does not help my lifelong frustration with 4 strokes!

Eric
2017 480rr
2014 GG 300
2006 Suzuki RM 250
Various vintage dirt bikes
coopernicus

Re: Fuel leaking from fuel pump on 2017 480rr

Postby Deck1 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:55 am

please attach some pictures. The valve cover weeping shouldn't be a major concern. My guess is during valve check, gasket is either not aligned correctly, or didn't dab a bit of silicone in the cam pocket seals like in this pic. There have been very few fuel pump problems, from what I can tell from watching this and Thumper Talk forums, maybe 2. But, they are plastic, and can only take so much abuse or tweaking.
Attachments
Beta valve cover.png
Beta valve cover.png (209.89 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby coopernicus » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:14 pm

Deck1 wrote:please attach some pictures. The valve cover weeping shouldn't be a major concern. My guess is during valve check, gasket is either not aligned correctly, or didn't dab a bit of silicone in the cam pocket seals like in this pic. There have been very few fuel pump problems, from what I can tell from watching this and Thumper Talk forums, maybe 2. But, they are plastic, and can only take so much abuse or tweaking.

Thanks for your response! Well, I will get a pic later but it's not going to show anything except the fuel pump viewed from the bottom of the tank (that has been removed). As for the valve cover, it was fine for the last year and started leaking from ride one this year. I do see some silicone sealant peaking out in a spot so it was serviced at some point. I will have it looked at by a qualified mechanic. Quick question: Why does it need silicone sealant? I would think the gasket is meant to keep it from leaking? I am not trying to be a problem, I'm just a 2 stroke guy who is trying hard to lose my dislike of 4 strokes!

Eric
coopernicus

Postby Deck1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:01 am

just silicone in those tight 90° corners, and not very much, otherwise clean and dry everywhere else. That is pretty normal on most gaskets, including HD truck pan gaskets, which are the same design.
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke