clutch bleeding. ok officially confused

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

clutch bleeding. ok officially confused

Postby Engstrom » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:12 pm

So I got a 16 350 rr. Was on a ride where the clutch just gave out. Guessing I got a bubble in line when I crashed on left side? Anyway I go to bleed it at home and fricken nipple just snaps off..wtf. So I bought a whole new slave assembly. Slapped it on. Now I bleed it backwards(with the upper reservoir open) with a syringe using the magura bleed kit. When I do the dot 4 liquid just wont go in after cracking open the nipple. It just shoots all over. Like its blocked in there or something. Am I missing a step or what else can I check?

Remember is a brand new slave assembly. Checked all the lines to make sure they are tight. What I don't get is if I squeeze the clutch with nipple open liquid squirts out so its not like its totally clogged. I am just completely at a loss here.
Engstrom

Re: clutch bleeding. ok officially confused

Postby Deck1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:46 am

DELETED
Last edited by Deck1 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby Lotus54 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 am

Every master I’ve seen requires the clutch lever to be all the way out- and making sure a little freeplay between the lever and piston. (Opening the ‘bleed’ hole that allows more fluid into the system).

To test your bleed screw, take it off and blow through it. It should be totally free- check for obstructions.
When backbleeding (or vacuum), I suggest some teflon tape on the threads of the bleed screw. For that matter doing it when new is a good idea anyway, since it would have likely prevented the broken bleeder in the first place.

Open the bleed screw a turn at least. With teflon tape, it probably won’t leak and assure the taper is far enough off the seat to allow good flow.

I like to pressure bleed myself (top down) but that means more tools and the ‘back bleeding’ works just fine.
I also suggest flushing the system out about very 6 months. Brakes also. Just make sure you don’t let the master reservoir go empty and you can just use the lever to flush.
Beta XTrainer 300, Electric Motion Escape ‘R’, OSSA Super Pioneer 1975, Benelli 750 sei, more
Lotus54

Postby Engstrom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:33 pm

thanks guys. What I wasnt doing is tapping the clutch level as I squeezed on the syringe. That was the single thing I wasnt doing that did the trick
Engstrom

Postby aj_mariner » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:15 pm

Never had to do that trick...weird
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby braindead0 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:29 am

Engstrom wrote:thanks guys. What I wasnt doing is tapping the clutch level as I squeezed on the syringe. That was the single thing I wasnt doing that did the trick
Tapping??? It sounds like you may have your lever adjusted so that the relief hole isn't properly open when the lever is released. You should be able to force fluid back into reservoir without touching the clutch lever.
braindead0

Postby Engstrom » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:47 pm

your right. I forgot I did a trail side tweak and forgot I had screwed that adjustment screw all the way in. Jeez...talk about wasting two days pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.
Engstrom

Postby braindead0 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:50 pm

woops! it happens.... glad the mystery is solved!
braindead0

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke