Beta 350 hard starting help

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Beta 350 hard starting help

Postby Engstrom » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:35 pm

Got a 2016 350 rr. Bike has always ran fine and fires right up since new. Has about 800 miles on it only. Valves adjusted at 250 miles. Just fired it up last week and was fine.

All a sudden wont start.

All I did was put some odi locking grips on but since they throttle cable was so slack I just reverted back to some cheapy grips because I couldnt get it 100% right. Well go to start it and nothing. Fuel pump primes like normal, battery is a newer earth x with plenty of juice. It turns over and over and over but never fires up. Almost like its not getting gas. So I disconnected the quick disconnect and gas poured out.
Could I have done something weird to throttle cable preventing it from getting proper gas or something? Cable snaps back like its normal and back to stock. In the past all I ever did was tap the start button and never touch the start button anyway.
Totally confused on what it could be unless its be a clogged filter all of a sudden. Suggestions?
Engstrom

Re: Beta 350 hard starting help

Postby Deck1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:56 am

check for spark at the plug? kill button engaged by the throttle housing?
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby Engstrom » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:05 pm

So just got done replacing internal fuel filter. Looked fine but did it anyway. Still wont start. Still acts like its gas starved. But I was going to check spark and no clue what socket to use since its so crazy tight in there. Is there a special socket/socket wrench to use to get access to the thing?
Engstrom

Postby Lonesome Dave » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:18 pm

Use the spark plug wrench included in the tool kit. It's made for it!
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby Dezzzmomike » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Make absolutely sure you have NO tension on the throttle cable. It needs to be a little loose. If there is any tension at all the EFI bikes they won’t start. Thanks to Brown Cycles in Paseo Robles who skooled me in this little detail. I rotated my throttle grip the smallest amount some months ago and mine would not start. I couldn’t believe doing that created the issue because it seemed to be so insignificant. However, it wasn’t until I rotated it back and relieved the tension on the cable before mine started again and has been working good since.
Ducati 955 Corse
Bimota DB8
MV Agusta F4 RR
BMW K1200S
BETA 430 RR-S
Dezzzmomike

Postby Engstrom » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Dezzzmomike wrote:Make absolutely sure you have NO tension on the throttle cable. It needs to be a little loose. If there is any tension at all the EFI bikes they won’t start. Thanks to Brown Cycles in Paseo Robles who skooled me in this little detail. I rotated my throttle grip the smallest amount some months ago and mine would not start. I couldn’t believe doing that created the issue because it seemed to be so insignificant. However, it wasn’t until I rotated it back and relieved the tension on the cable before mine started again and has been working good since.

Good god that has to be in. when I adjusted it i specifically left it a tad tight not realizing it could effect it at all.
Engstrom

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke