Oil Consumption

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Oil Consumption

Postby Muddaholic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:15 pm

2017 500 rrs. 3900 miles.

3rd day on a Or. BDR. Last portion was Pavement and we cruised for 81 miles averaging 60 mph.. Check the oil before the ride and level was mid level on the site glass. After ride check showed oil level just below the site glass. Meaning the motor consumed some oil. Any other riders seen this type of consumption after a long - high RPM stretch ? No oil leaks and no Blue smoke. argh ...
Muddaholic

Re: Oil Consumption

Postby craigy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:59 pm

It could be your oil was diluted with unburnt fuel and the long stretch at constant rpm caused it to burn off.
craigy

Postby Johnny Depp » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:05 pm

On long full throttle high rpm runs I have had mine puke some oil, in my case it smoked because I routed my overflow tube into the airbox and it got sucked in. I run a full liter on each side and that's the only time I've had it happen. I've heard of long street runs oiling the rear tire with overflow.
Johnny Depp

Postby Muddaholic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:52 am

Thanx guys ... rather scary as in any engine, loss or burn of oil is a serious issue.
Johnny Depp wrote:On long full throttle high rpm runs I have had mine puke some oil, in my case it smoked because I routed my overflow tube into the airbox and it got sucked in. I run a full liter on each side and that's the only time I've had it happen. I've heard of long street runs oiling the rear tire with overflow.
Muddaholic

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke