Thermostat Switch Change Out

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Thermostat Switch Change Out

Postby fasteddy » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:07 pm

I've noticed that the engine gets quite hot 100deg c plus before the thermostat switch kicks the fan on. I've changed out the thermostat switch for one that turns the fan on at 85deg C. Besides the fan running sooner and longer can anyone think of a downside to keeping the engine temps on the cooler side.

Thanks
fasteddy

Re: Thermostat Switch Change Out

Postby aj_mariner » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:17 pm

Is it powered directly from the battery? Might want to get a kicker
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby Mustangdude » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:38 pm

Fitting a fan shouldn't change the normal operating temp.
The thermostat does that job, fitting a lower temp sender will just assist it to do it's job.
Normally I don't change things like that because the manufacture has done all the testing and knows what their engines are able to withstand.

However there are no downsides except your fan will run way more and it'll tax your charging circuit slightly. I doubt the fan draws much amperage.
Mustangdude

Postby Cruiser » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:58 pm

The stock switch I had in my kit either had a seriously high on temp or was defective from the box. I'm using a slightly lower switch and no downside. The T-stat opens as it should but now It doesn't get so close to boil over before the fan comes on. Bike is much cooler in the woods. Old switch wold be on verge of boil over before it came on. Now its the same as my KTM's were.
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Postby Hurky » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:31 am

My RR300 2019 came with a defect thermoswitch, it did not switch even past 100`C so I bought an 85`C and an 75`C thermoswitch, tried the 75`C and this is what I am running since then. The advantage is that the FAN kicks in pretty soon when I start the slow torture stuff and I had never a boilover as the temps are not permitted to get so high. In my case the FAN is connected to the lightning system and does not affect the battery.
Hurky

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke