Problem: Engine cutting off

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Re: Problem: Engine cutting off

Postby ricoyam » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:57 pm

Balkan boy wrote:That would be scary proposition. :shock:
I check the coolant from time to time, and radiator is always filled to the tap. It's that expensive Motul stuff, and about a year old now. Bike runs pretty cool. I can crawl along in first gear for a long time before the fan comes on.
How much coolant would it take to cloudy up the oil?
Bike was upside-down recently after a gentle tip over.

It would take a fair amount of water/coolant to do that. Do you do a lot of short hops? If the engine never gets warmed up condensation will collect and emulsify. Have you dropped your bike in a stream or ride in a lot of wet conditions? at any rate it's a sure sign you need to change your oil more often. Emulsified oil is not a good lubricant. These engines don't hold a lot of oil. You'd better read your owners manual and check the oil change interval.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby Balkan boy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:31 am

Here's a closure to this problem.

I now believe that the cutting off was entirely due to the bad oil in the gearbox. Clutch was probably sticking because the oil turned creamy and sticky.
I have changed the gearbox oil twice (with Motul) in the past 15h work hours, and the engine didn't cut out at all. I've tested it under many different and demanding conditions and it's without trouble.

I won't blame it entirely on the Motorex TopSpeed 10W40, but I won't be putting it ever again.

P.S.
I also had Motorex CrossPower oil in the engine at the time, and the engine sound was peaky and rattly.
400RR
Balkan boy

Postby pguerci » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:25 am

Good you found the problem.

Now regarding the milky oil, if you discarded already that water is coming from the motor coolant circuit (a crack, a gasket, bomb, etc.), question is have you been crossing deep waters like rivers or lagoons since your last clean gearbox oil change? something like footpeg deep or more?

It happened to me several times in my '11 and '12 Betas, also in friend of mine Beta, problem was the gearbox breathing hose that runs low down to the linkage then when you cross deep waters like rivers somehow the difference of temperatures motor-water makes the hose to suck water into the gearbox, also bike stalls. I solved that just elevating the hose up to the carb level tightening it to the frame.
Pablo
'15 Beta 300RR; '13 Beta 350 Factory; '12 Beta 350RR; '11 Beta 450RR; '08 WR450
pguerci

Postby Balkan boy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:13 am

Pablo,

Yes, I had one situation when I was riding in a muddy creak. Water was axle deep in some places and it was all stop and go because of the rocks.
That was the ride when the cutting off was most present and I drained the battery by starting it many times.
It is all well now. Thanks for the tip about the hose.
400RR
Balkan boy

Previous

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke