Air Box Issues 300rr 2015

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Re: Air Box Issues 300rr 2015

Postby GMP » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:54 pm

The only reason to have any kind of valve there is to keep water out during deeper crossings, which is pointless unless you seriously rethink sealing of the cover. IF you could positively seal the cover, a good valve would be a diaphragm type like used in diving equipment. In fact a cheap "shotgun" or self draining snorkel as a doner would probably work well as long as you used the foam in the well to keep dirt from blocking it. All depends on your need or desire to ford water.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Re: Air Box Issues 300rr 2015

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:02 am

mtdirtbag wrote:I pulled the air box valve out and "relaxed" the flapper valve with a utility knife and at the same time opened the bottom portion of it a little. It helps with getting water out of the bottom without leaving it open but still not helpful for a large amount of water coming into the box.

I was looking on eBay for a variety of rubber water drains to add to my Beta. I got an old yamaha one to add to the puny drain Beta has. I’ll just cut and add another hole and install that other drain on the side of the stock one. The stock one is way too small. I liked the early 80s husky design but those seem too expensive and probably should be more for the vintage dirtbike builders. I really haven’t looked at the overall Beta airbox design much. Im thinking I should look at different strategies to help seal from water and protect mud from coming in and of course just ventilation.Im wondering if I should put some foam in the top rear to block some mud and water from coming in. Sometimes Im crossing streams a few times a day. It just depends. I hate drowning bikes. Who does.. but some here just seem to dare flooding their bikes crossing in deep sections. I just try to avoid .. but if you end up riding with them it’s best to be prepared. I guess Im thinking about this because we’ve had a tone of flash flood warnings this past month.
hawaiidirtrider

Previous

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke