My 300RR needle findings

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Re: My 300RR needle findings

Postby Johnno » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 am

So finally after more than 7 months I fitted the NEDJ needle. I think I had an NECW in there, I have so many I've lost track and frankly if you didn't get perched on the sides of mountains or insist on barging through the scrub where there is no trail an NECW might be okay.

It's that first 1 or 2 mm of throttle, and borttt. She stalls at THE worst possible times. Like, over balance and fall down the side of a mountain with guys laughing like a pack of hyena.

SO I jam the NEDJ in just now, start up. Sounds good. After a lil while I open the throttle just that teeny bit yep yep this is good. I set off around the yard standing on the pegs ducking the clothes line and doing tight turns. This feels great. I tried to get it lugging slow going up to the top of my back yard, slipping the clutch and balancing going slow and stopping. All good.

Yay!

Park bike fuel gushes out the over flow.

Oh, you SELFISH BASTARD!!!

I tapped the bowl with a screw driver, nuh. Must have got a grain of crud in it.

I'm about the remove the carb now. :|
Loose...
Johnno

Postby KB112 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:23 am

I ran 38 and 40p, nedj 2, and 165 main for the last month at low elevation and ended up getting a bad lean knock and ran way to hot. I just ordered new piston rings because mine are now toast amd ive got blowby stains on my piston. 25hrs on the bike and the piston looks worse than my old bikes piston after 80 hrs.

I know a lot depends on how you ride, but im not a fast guy running wide open all the time. Be careful going too lean.

Edit: I should clarify that the jetting may not be 100% responsible for the detonation I was experiencing. To ne safe though I will be running slightly richer from now on and running higher octane fuel, at least until I can get a new head with proper squish.
KB112

Postby Johnno » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:32 pm

I'm running the NEDJ at #3.

I am going to ride properly at my local testing grounds today and I will be paying very strict attention.

I rarely ride fast, I have a bit of hit each ride but mostly I am crawling and climbing.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Johnno » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Went for a ride around my local and I have to say there is improvement. I tweaked the idle up a bit, I may knock that back a tiny amount, I may not.

But Idling around for quite a while and just groaning through trees, tight turns, then blipping into small wheelies and the like I had none of the problems I've had with stalling.

I have this " thing " I've set up, its a slope of coal dust and dirt and what I do it try to turn sharply to the left ( I prefer right turns, I'm left handed, don't practice what you are good at! ) and go back up the slope with out stalling or putting a foot down. You need to balance clutch and throttle, balance the bike and keep the weight off the front in ever loosening soil.

It's a good little exercise, so it's over the edge clutch in standing up, backside well to the rear but aimed out to the right side, you need to be moving quick enough to not have the front plough through the little berm of coil dust, but slow enough to make the turn, but also you want the front wheel to be through far enough so when you start slipping the clutch and trickling the gas back on you don't push the front, then, you get centred back over the bike to get traction and steer through a bush and a tree at the top.

You can stall or dab a foot at 3 or 4 points.

Today was the first time I've done it cleanly, and then repeatedly.

You can really tell it's better by just blipping the throttle the smallest amount repeatedly, it used to just be a tiny bit fluffy or fat, not responsive. A lot of guys might not care, but jeeez it caused me grief..

Your on the side of a hill traversing. You know how you are leaning the bike into the hill but you jut your upper body slightly outward to keep level.

You commit to moving forward a distance, the bike is idling fine but as soon as you open the gas and start slipping the clutch bork, it stalls.

Because you are balancing your upper body goes away from the hill and whoa! lets fall!

I didn't experience anything on my test ride that would indicate that problem still exists and I plodded around slow trying to load it up, slipping the clutch at a snails pace in 2nd and anything else I could think of.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Johnno » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:34 pm

Okay real riding up in the hills today = ooooooh :(

I will try the clip at #2, it was okay-ish but part throttle, just the first bit, it gurgled like Hell. It was jumpy and touchy too. Like gurgle gurgle surge surge gurgle.

I will review all my data but will try the NEDJ that's in there at #2, #3 wasn't good.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Bandicoot » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Johnno wrote:Okay real riding up in the hills today = ooooooh :(

I will try the clip at #2, it was okay-ish but part throttle, just the first bit, it gurgled like Hell. It was jumpy and touchy too. Like gurgle gurgle surge surge gurgle.

I will review all my data but will try the NEDJ that's in there at #2, #3 wasn't good.

Its always been a clip 2 needle ...
But you need to find out what you prefer for yourself !!
Darren ..
If your not ridin' ... Your dyin' .. !!!
Keep on Roostin'
Bandicoot

Postby Johnno » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:07 am

I even reviewed old posts to find out the original recommendation, I must have been half pissed and read #3..

I'll change it tomorrow and see. Pretty sure it will be good at #2.

I had too much air in the front tyre as well to add to my woes. Michelin say because the carcass is so light you need to add air to your normal setting.

I had the front at about 12- 13 ish and it seemed okay but I tried 15 today and I was glad I was alone when I hit this sandy patch, it was pretty dismal.

I let some out and it was better.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Bandicoot » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Johnno wrote:I even reviewed old posts to find out the original recommendation, I must have been half pissed and read #3..

I'll change it tomorrow and see. Pretty sure it will be good at #2.

I had too much air in the front tyre as well to add to my woes. Michelin say because the carcass is so light you need to add air to your normal setting.

I had the front at about 12- 13 ish and it seemed okay but I tried 15 today and I was glad I was alone when I hit this sandy patch, it was pretty dismal.

I let some out and it was better.

I run SC5's at about 8 in the front and down as low as 4-5 in the rear .. Im Tubliss thou
Darren ..
If your not ridin' ... Your dyin' .. !!!
Keep on Roostin'
Bandicoot

Postby Johnno » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Yeah I am Tubliss, I am going to experiment with lower pressures. Mate has an SC5 medium on the front of his KTM 300 and he says he runs 10 ish as he's experienced some rim strikes when going lower.

I will try some different settings, I have a good little circuit near the car park where I ride, I can accurately set the pressure and do a loop.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Johnno » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:06 pm

Okay bike seems to like the NEDJ #2.

I put about 8 psi in the front and about 6 in the rear. Besides sounding like dump truck going up the road in felt good. I tried my coal dust tight turn test and A: turned the front with utter precision then B: stopped completely balancing feet up just past the apex of the turn and then drove up the hill in first with no wheel spin at all, just growling at what seemed like about 250 rpm slipping the clutch with confidence it wasn't going stall.

This is a good test of tyres, carb and rider confidence in both.
Loose...
Johnno

PreviousNext

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke