21 XTrainer Airbox seal

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

21 XTrainer Airbox seal

Postby F5 Dave » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:12 am

Hi all, New member.

So I got my XT last week and while I have a heap of mods planned to tilt the use further towards the way I want it , I've almost drowned it twice.

It is the least waterproof dirtbike I've owned. There doesn't seem to be any attempt to seal the bottom of the box. Maybe it doesn't rain in Italy?
Filter got very wet and started to gurgle and just made it out of a puddle and a stream crossing.

Has anyone tried to foam the sidecover to try delay water entry?
21 XTrainer
F5 Dave

Re: 21 XTrainer Airbox seal

Postby F5 Dave » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:47 am

Well a hive of activity here. I rerouted the upper carb hoses and pv hose to steering head.

Then added some window seal to the sidecover to try slow ingress. Will try to upload pics.
21 XTrainer
F5 Dave

Postby F5 Dave » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:51 am

Ok so having trouble.

Here's Kaaden the cat instead.

Nope, too big.
21 XTrainer
F5 Dave

Postby phil_h » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:14 am

Any progress?
This is what I have been advised:
Air box is one of the worst things on the bike. So many ways for water to get in. Put some closed cell foam down the rear hand holds. Stops water from the rear wheel going down into the air box. There is also an area up under the rear mudguard that needs sealing. Seal the rubber band for the stand where it fits in the air box especially if you don't use it to hold the stand. I modified the rubber/plastic drain thingy by cutting a bigger hole and putting a Nitrile glove finger with a slit in over it more effective at stopping water getting in and letting it out. Maybe add some foam to the side cover to get a better seal although I never bothered. Note the oil tank sits in a bloody great big hole in the side of the airbox and isn't effectively sealed. Oh and avoid deep water
phil_h

Postby F5 Dave » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:53 pm

Thanks for ideas. I've done the window seal but not really tested it. I'll look at other parts as you suggest. Sometimes on organised rides you have to take the crossing.
21 XTrainer
F5 Dave

Postby phil_h » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:09 pm

I'm going to put a dam in the intake funnel so that a high level of water in the airbox wont go straight into the intake.
phil_h

Postby F5 Dave » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:42 pm

Interesting. Be hard to attach in gas sprayed area.
21 XTrainer
F5 Dave

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke