Questions about the 300RR

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Questions about the 300RR

Postby redbone477 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Just got my bike, bought it new/used, I say that because it only had 1.6 miles on it. Nipples were still on the tires. It had old gas in it that I drained. I put new gas in it with some sea foam to clean the system. Having a little trouble adjusting the idle. It will idle once it is warm it just needs to be a little higher. The jetting is stock, the air screw is @ 1 1/2 turns out. When I adjust the idle screw it doesn't raise the rpms. So I guess my question is do I need to pull the carb to do a really good cleaning? Its been awhile since I messed with a carb, but do I have to take it off the bike to work on it or is it possible to do what I need to with it on the bike? Last ? for this session, I know you get some spoog/drool from a 2 stroke, but today after my ride I noticed what seemed to be some drool splatter on the back side of the cylinder, I'm hoping that it is possibly coming from the joint between the pipe and the silencer. Any ideas? Thanks
redbone477

Re: Questions about the 300RR

Postby Beta Steve » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:23 pm

If you want to truly clean and inspect the carb it has to come off, and given the crap that passes for gas today I would want to really clean everything. Especially since it has been sitting. Never seen any drool on my '13 anywhere but the bottom of the silencer, which is a Q Stealth. Running dealer supplied Panolin at 43:1 and a JD jetting kit. Haven't touched it since he tuned it, runs very good. Pics of mine when it was new on his website.
Beta Steve

Postby twowheels » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:04 am

redbone477 wrote:Just got my bike, bought it new/used, I say that because it only had 1.6 miles on it. Nipples were still on the tires. It had old gas in it that I drained. I put new gas in it with some sea foam to clean the system. Having a little trouble adjusting the idle. It will idle once it is warm it just needs to be a little higher. The jetting is stock, the air screw is @ 1 1/2 turns out. When I adjust the idle screw it doesn't raise the rpms. So I guess my question is do I need to pull the carb to do a really good cleaning? Its been awhile since I messed with a carb, but do I have to take it off the bike to work on it or is it possible to do what I need to with it on the bike? Last ? for this session, I know you get some spoog/drool from a 2 stroke, but today after my ride I noticed what seemed to be some drool splatter on the back side of the cylinder, I'm hoping that it is possibly coming from the joint between the pipe and the silencer. Any ideas? Thanks

Welcome aboard! To answer at least one of your questions, yep, the spackling on the back of the cylinder is from the rubber joiner between the stinger and silencer. Just zip tie the one end and forget about it.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby 300xtfreek » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:20 am

Two questoins for OP:
1) How long did you wait when adjusting the air screw? It may take a few seconds, say 5-10, for the carb to respond to the air screw adjustment.
2) Was the engine warmed up when you adjust it?
If the answer is YES for both questions, it's likely the pilot circuit is clogged. You'll need to take it apart to do a thorough cleaning.
Have fun doing it.
Vincent
300 X Trainer
300xtfreek

Postby redbone477 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:40 pm

I took it all apart and cleaned it well. All is good now!
redbone477

Postby Kim » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:02 pm

Always refreshing to see the original poster reply back with problem solved etc....
:)
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
Kim

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke