250RR Jetting

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Re: 250RR Jetting

Postby GMP » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:30 am

Hammer wrote:I have used mine in the low 50s with nothing but a pilot and main change.

DaddyTJ there is your answer for a start as Hammer has been running this jetting for awhile now. My bike liked ther 38 pilot better this summer, I suspect due to fuel, but its all relative.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby DaddyTJ » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:28 am

I was running the 38 pilot too. With the NECJ, 162 main and 38 pilot I no longer had the pinging. thanks for the suggestion on jetting. I will keep an eye on the set up.
2017 Beta 300 RR
2015 Beta 300 RR
2008 KTM 300 XC-W Bye Bye
2010 Husaberg 450 FE Bye Bye
DaddyTJ

Postby foxbat » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Today I was riding on trails at 1500-3000ft ASL, with the temperature between 40 and 45 degrees. I changed my pilot jet to a 38, changed the needle to a NECW (#3 clip), kept the 165 main jet, and set the aircrew to 1.5 turns out. The 250 ran great with crisp response and no sponge. The NECW really picks up where the NECJ leaves off in cold weather.
foxbat

Postby bryanaverill » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:05 am

Question: It looks like the NECJ needle is recommended by this forum for 250's and 300's. I have a 250 and I'm surprised that the same needle would work with a 300. Any insight to why this is?

Hey foxbat, I live in Portland. We should hit the trail and exchange Beta notes.
bryanaverill

Postby GMP » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:09 am

Depends on your conditions. I know its excellent in a 300 at sea level, warmer temps. For a 250 I'd tend to think the W dia and/or 1/2 clip richer NED* would be worth having to work with as well.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby bryanaverill » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:52 pm

OK. The J and W (last letter in code) refer to the base diameter and J is leaner than W? Sorry if this has already been said.

My conditions can varry quite a bit. From Oregon Coast to Rocy mountains. I'm usually below 2500ft and around 65F most of the time.

I ride slow and lug a lot. Hardly ever rip at wot. I'm also willing to give up some power to gain fuel economy.

I'm pretty happy with the stock settings. A little rich at 1/8 to 1/4 constant throttle setting. Every other condition is basically excellent.
bryanaverill

Postby DaddyTJ » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:23 pm

This is a chart oc needles from lean to rich.
2017 Beta 300 RR
2015 Beta 300 RR
2008 KTM 300 XC-W Bye Bye
2010 Husaberg 450 FE Bye Bye
DaddyTJ

Postby bryanaverill » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:34 pm

I'll be jetting this weekend on my '16 250rr. I have an NECJ and NECW needle, #38 pilot, a variety of MJ's, and the stock jetting. My question is what I should start with? My usual conditions are 0 - 2500', 50 - 80F. I ride in a high gear and lug a lot. I like the un-stallable feel that the stock jetting has. I'm also willing to trade off a little maximum power for fuel economy.

My goal is to make the 1/8 constant throttle leaner (less blubbering) while not sacrificing throttle response of lugging ability. Would also like a slight fuel economy improvement.

Thanks
bryanaverill

Postby ballisticexchris » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:32 pm

deleted
Last edited by ballisticexchris on Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballisticexchris

Postby Hammer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:16 pm

[quote="bryanaverill"]I'll be jetting this weekend on my '16 250rr. I have an NECJ and NECW needle, #38 pilot, a variety of MJ's, and the stock jetting. My question is what I should start with? My usual conditions are 0 - 2500', 50 - 80F. I ride in a high gear and lug a lot. I like the un-stallable feel that the stock jetting has. I'm also willing to trade off a little maximum power for fuel economy.

My goal is to make the 1/8 constant throttle leaner (less blubbering) while not sacrificing throttle response of lugging ability. Would also like a slight fuel economy improvement.

Thank

I would start with the NECW in the middle and the 38 to start. That should be lots rich and work your way down from there. Jetting is not a one size fits all. I tuned 2 ktm 250s for the same person and ended up with different settings to make them work the same.
It's not some black art like people like to think. It's about feel and attention to detail.

If you can start it cold with no choke, the pilot circuit is too rich.
If, when warm, the idle seems to hang when blipping the throttle, the pilot circuit is too lean.

The best way to set a pilot circuit is with an RPM guage. Warm the bike up and turn the mixture screw to where you get the highest RPM. If it's below 3/4 turns, or above 2.5 turns, change the pilot jet and try again.

On a 2-stroke - You should be able to ride in 3rd gear, throtlle BARELY cracked open, and it should cruise smoothly. If it sputters and crackles, the pilot is too rich. If it bogs, the pilot is too lean.

Ona 4-stroke - If it stalls in corners, flames out, and is really darn tough to start, the pilot is too lean. If it feels a little dead until you wind it out, the pilot is too rich. Another test it to rev it out a little in 2nd and then let the throttle snap shut. As it's decelerating, there should be very little backfire or popping - if it pops the whole way down, the pilot circuit is lean.

Needle Clip:

On a 2-stroke - Riding in 3rd gear, with a warm engine and the throttle BARELY cracked open, roll the throttle to 1/2. If the bike sputters and crackles, and you feel like you have to keep rolling on the throttle to smooth it out, the needle is too rich. If, on the otherhand, you get the dreaded 'buhhhhhhwaaaaa', the needle is too lean.

On a 4-stroke - Riding in 3rd with the throttle barely cracked open and roll the throttle open to 1/2. The engine should pull smoothly... if it hesitates and threatens to stall, then the needle is too lean. If it feels 'dead' and won't pick up RPM quickly, then the needle is too rich. An overheating thumper that doesn't have a radiator problem typically is an indicator of a lean needle.

Main jet:

On a 2-stroke - Riding in 3rd, with the throttle BARELY cracked open and cruising along, whack the throttle wide open. If you end up with a set of handlebars impacting your nose, or you loop out, the main is perfect! If it crackles, smokes, and won't get 'on the pipe' quickly, then the main is too rich. If it gives a 'buuuuhhhhwwaaa' sound and feels like it's sucking for air, then the main is too lean.

On a 4-stroke. If the engine feels like it's run into a wall and won't pull full throttle - the engine just sounds dead - then the main is too rich. If, on the other hand, it surges, the main is lean. A lean condition will also give you some 'pinging' and a pure white plug.

Advanced Topics:

The needle regulates the mixture from around 1/4 - 3/4 throttle. Most people are familiar with the clip position, as it's the most common adjustment, but there's much more to the needle. The jet needle is a long rod that fits into the needle jet. On most carbs, both are replaceable with different sized components. As the throttle is opened, the jet needle is retracted from the needle jet and this creates space between the two for gas to flow through. The more you open the throttle, the more the jet needle is pulled out of the needle jet, and consequently the more gas can pass through the increasing space between them. Below I'll outline the various parts of the jet needle.

Length - The relative length of the needle is adjustable by raising or lowering the clip. If you lower the needle (by raising the clip), then the needle sits deeper in the needle jet. This leans out the mixture across the range of the needle. Conversly, if you raise the needle (by lowering the clip), then the needle is further retracted from the needle jet, and this richens the mixture across the needle's range. Needles are offered in various lenghths. If you have a needle which is still too rich, even though it's in clip position 1, then you need to order a longer needle. For example, needle 'A' in clip position 1 is the exact same relative length as needle 'B' in clip position 3. If you had needle A in your bike, and it was still rich - even though you had the clip in position 1, then you could change to needle 'B' and lean things out by going to clip position 2.

Root Diameter - Needles are offered in several different root diameters. The jet needle sits in a hole in the needle jet, as mentioned. The clip position determines how deep it sits in the hole. The root diameter, on the otherhand, is the diameter of the needle at it's pointy end. The wider the root diameter, the smaller the space between the needle and the hole in the needle jet. Therefore, I needle with a larger root diameter will be leaner than a needle with a smaller root diameter. The root diameter overlaps with the slide cutaway, which is to say that it affects primarily 1/8th to 1/4 throttle mixture. Typically you would swap for a needle with a larger root diameter to compensate for high altitude (or extreme heat).

Needle taper - Needles taper from top to bottom. As with all principles regarding the needle, the taper is relative to the diameter of the hole in the needle jet. Tapers are rarely changed, but here's a condition which warrants a taper change. Let's say the jetting is perfect at 1/4 throttle, but becomes increasingly leaner as you approach 3/4 throttle. In that case, you would want a needle with a shallower taper. Conversly, if the mixture is great at 1/4 throttle, but getting richer and richer as you approach 3/4 throttle, then the needle taper needs to be steeper. In my experience, needle taper only needs to be changed when the factory mis-spec'd it to begin with. Under very rare circumstances, big modifications to the motor - such as an overbore kit - will require a change in needle taper.

Remember that jetting needs to be adjusted for every 2000' elevation change and every 15 degree temperature change. If it was jetted right this summer, it's sure to be too lean during the winter. If you rejet it now, when it's cold out, make sure to lean it out a bit in the spring.

Good luck!
Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke