XT Studdering and Dies on Uphills

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

XT Studdering and Dies on Uphills

Postby Jeffrow68 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:50 am

When I get on a decent elevation hill climb my XT will Studder and sometimes die. This scenario occurs mostly on aggressive uphill climbs, and it sounds as if it is starving for fuel. On flat ground, I can run it hard and it does fine. I have had the carb off multiple times to clean and check float height and all is good. I have the occasional issue with fuel overflow, but it's not too bad. I'm running a clean air filter, new plug, clean and greased electrical connectors, JD jet kit that is spot on, and float height set by the manual.

So my question is am I starving for fuel on Uphills or is the bowl too full and causing drowning? After I get back to level ground the issue clears up after a short run. I am at wits end to fix this problem.

One recommendation was to lower float height (make it shut off fuel sooner and keep a lower level) to prevent overflowing. I made a small adjustment to the float height, but I am concerned to go too far. Will too much fuel in the bowl cause the engine to Studder when it is on an elevation? If so I will continue to make small changes to the float height, but damn, it sure sounds like it is running out of fuel.

Please help.
Jeffrow68

Re: XT Studdering and Dies on Uphills

Postby ricoyam » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Set the float height to spec. There's no real reason to change from that.
You mention you carb overflows. Are there any certain times or conditions?
Check and make sure your fuel cap vent is clear. If you have a check valve in it try running without it. Make sure it is installed in the right direction.
Make sure your tank has enough fuel in it and try running in the reserve position if you're not already.

Try downshifting while climbing! (laughing and ducking)
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby nevermind » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:26 am

I like Ricoyam's suggestion to keep the float height stock. Many have suggested to Beta riders to put a 360* loop in the bowl overflow hose. My RR float is set at stock and it normally has fuel in the lower portion of that loop.
nevermind

Postby Angustoyou » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:42 am

Remember that the fuel tap is located well forward on the tank, and that going uphill means the fuel flows back into the secondary part of the tank. Every time I've gone onto reserve it's been on an uphill.

I've been contemplating running the tap from the rear most part of the tank, I'd rather run out of fuel on a downhill than an uphill. Or maybe lose a reserve option and run all the tank fuel lines through an inline tap. Shame the tank isn't see through.
Angustoyou

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke