Anyone else neurotic about their air filter?

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Anyone else neurotic about their air filter?

Postby doolin64 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:20 am

I'm in the process of going over my bike for basic maintenance seeing that I just brought it home. I tend to be neurotic about a clean air filter. For some reason I can't get the stains out of this filter. I've cleaned it twice.

Oil it and be done or order a new filter and keep this as a spare?

doolin64

Re: Anyone else neurotic about their air filter?

Postby typeone » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:49 am

huh, that's weird. i'm nutty about my filters too, i'd order a few new ones and ditch that one.

i see you're in MA, whereabouts? i'm in central MA and ride HVD often. usually the only Beta there, i've seen one other.
'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

Postby Marylander » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:20 am

I would keep using it. Stains aren't going to hurt anything.

I rode central MA many moons ago. Lots of nice riding there.
Marylander

Postby Alta Redneck » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:00 am

Try using diesel fuel to clean it. That's the only thing I found that actually takes the petroleum based filter oil out. That's a major reason why I switched to no toil, I would never go back. The no toil cleaner drops all of the no toil "oil" right out. The filters always come out looking like new. I know some people worry that since its bio degradable they think getting it wet will make it loose its effectiveness but I can't tell you it doesn't. The stuff won't even was off your hands with soap and water. You have to use its designed cleaner to get it off.
Alta Redneck

Postby typeone » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:10 am

i agree stains won't hurt anything but those look like chunks of dirt still stuck in the filter.

+1 to No Toil, except i like the original red to the new evo green. the red dries faster and sticks better.

speaking of the 'special cleaner', give OxyClean a try some time :D same thing. works awesome.
typeone

Postby typeone » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 am

btw, Marylander, where did you used to ride in central MA? we're lucky we still have some great riding around, $40 every two years for an ORV sticker and you're good. for the tolerated stuff, we have some decent trail right out of the garage. reminds me of being a kid.
typeone

Postby doolin64 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:04 pm

I don't have any diesel fuel handy but I do have oxy clean. I used a bel ray filter cleaner. The stains look worse in the pictures. There's are no chunks. I washed it twice with the bel ray and then dish soap and warm water.
doolin64

Postby Alta Redneck » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:35 pm

typeone wrote:i agree stains won't hurt anything but those look like chunks of dirt still stuck in the filter.

+1 to No Toil, except i like the original red to the new evo green. the red dries faster and sticks better.

speaking of the 'special cleaner', give OxyClean a try some time :D same thing. works awesome.

I didn't realize there was a red one, our local dealer only brings in the green. I never thought of oxyclean, thanks for the tip! Always glad to learn something new.

As for the original prob try cleaning it with straight gas if you don't have Deisel. It works as well in a pinch.
Alta Redneck

Postby typeone » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:56 pm

yeah, if that is standard filter oil, +2 for gas (even though it's not recommended for the glue seams), that's all i used to use back in the day.

i doubt OxyClean would do anything for the stains, i mentioned it for the NoToil users. cheaper option than buying the 'special' NoToil cleaner.
typeone

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:34 pm

Clean it with mineral turpentine to get the oil out. Then wash the filter in truck wash this gets all the oil out and the stains.

MM
Marty Moose

Next

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke