HELP!!! Replaced needle now throttle won't snap shut

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

HELP!!! Replaced needle now throttle won't snap shut

Postby doolin64 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:51 pm

Sorry guys for newb questions. I typically find myself fairly mechanical. Tonight I decided to install the NECJ Suzuki needle and a 162 Main Jet.

I even bought quality screwdrivers to remove the screws on the bowl to avoid stripping them.

I removed the tank. Then I started by removing the two 3mm hex heads on top of the carb. I pulled the assembly out. Lifted the spring to allow the cable to come off. Replacement of the needle was simple.

To change the main jet. I remove the chain guard, then loosed the boots on both sides and rotated the carb in place. So far so good. replaced the main jet. Reassembled.

I got the carb rotated back in place, vent lines in place. (Yeah! I'm doing such a good job. I'm proud of myself) <----sarcasm

Next I dropped the throttle assembly back into the carb. It goes in nice and easy. Reinstall the two 3mm and screws and when I twist the throttle it just stayed there. It didn't snap back into place. :shock: :o

I check my throttle cable, no kinks or twists. I remove the throttle assembly, I ensured the white clip at the bottle of the spring was positioned correctly to hold the throttle cable. I reinstall everything. Same issue.

Before I start snapping pictures...any ideas what it could be?
doolin64

Re: HELP!!! Replaced needle now throttle won't snap shut

Postby katoom400 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:13 pm

off the cuff...make sure the cable is seated where it sits in the top of the carb......then check the clip to make sure the needle is sitting straight...it's a pretty simple system....can only be a few things....
katoom400

Postby doolin64 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Thank you for the tip...I agree it's a simple system. I went back down to my shop to look it over again. I removed the whole assemble and found the throttle was still hanging up. I looked up at the throttle/grip assembly and it was catching my Cycra handguard where it attaches to the bar. No idea how that happened. It has not been and issue and I didn't touch the handlebar. I loosed the throttle assembly and moved it inward so it cleared with room to spare and felt good.

I reassembled and no issues. Throttle snaps back with a vengeance. I'm stumped but it's clearly fixed. :geek:
doolin64

Postby rotor » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:24 am

Just a little helpfull hint, you dont have to take the bowl off. Just unscrew the drain plug, the big nut on the bottom of the bowl, to get to tje jets. Lots easier
rotor

Postby doolin64 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:24 am

I didn't think there would be enough room, or I'd drop the jet into the bowl. :lol:
doolin64

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke