NEDW needle

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Re: NEDW needle

Postby david.bergen » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:43 am

GMP wrote:Try the 40 pilot as I suggested, your symptoms are obvious lean. With the NE** series you also generally go down one size on the main compared to the OEM needle as the tip is more narrow so richer at the top. NEDJ is one range LEANER on the straight dia than the NEDW. Length is the same. Try the pilot and then a NEDH, NECH if that does not work. As I said these needles are sensitive to position adjustments so its always best to work with a pair of the same straight dia but different lengths. This is more of a midrange adjustment. Also forget about any data on the chart when using these needles as the profile is completely different. Start rich and move down(NE*W as example) : NEDW #3, NECW#3, NEDW#2, NECW#2.

GMP,
Thank you for the info on the needles. Seems I better ordered a different one. I did order it because it was mentionned in a different thread by someone.
I don't have a 40 pilot jet at the moment , but I'll get one tommorow and report back.
This morning it was much colder en the bike did indeed needed the choke to start.
With the original needle and smaller pilot it didn't need the choke.
Thanks,
David
david.bergen

Postby david.bergen » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:02 pm

Update,
Today I have tested the bike with the 40 pilot jet.
Bike will start without choke when cold. AS is 1.5 turns out. Main jet 168
Bike works good butt still has the hesistation when I whack open the throattle when running in 3 gear at low rpm. (very minor hesitation) When I do the same in 4,5 and six gear it gets worse.
I also tried the same setting with a 162 main jet. Seems to make it worse but gives more power when wide open. Hits much harder and less controlable ...
So for now I again installed the 168 main and try it for a longer ride with some technical sections
Suggestions welcome
I have the following for further experimenting
Main 162,165,168
pilot 35,38,40
needles
NEDW
NEDJ
NOZJ
NOZI
david.bergen

Postby Hammer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:03 pm

Leave the 168 in NEDJ #3 and 38 pilot. Let me know what happens.
Are you sure it's a lean hesitation and not a slight over fueling at low rpm.
Hammer

Postby Bandicoot » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:47 pm

Hammer wrote:Leave the 168 in NEDJ #3 and 38 pilot. Let me know what happens.

Since he mentioned its starting with no choke & its cold I would say its on the rich side.
If its to lean it will idle hang & give that deep blaahhhhh sound .. with the correct pilot jet it will need the choke on cold mornings but able to sit and purr with it off after a min on or so !!
Darren ..
If your not ridin' ... Your dyin' .. !!!
Keep on Roostin'
Bandicoot

Postby david.bergen » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:03 am

Hammer wrote:Leave the 168 in NEDJ #3 and 38 pilot. Let me know what happens.

Don't know for sure. Engine doesn't pull for fraction off seconds and then pulls through.
I can try to make a video if that helps...
david.bergen

Postby GMP » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:31 am

I was under the impression it was borderline lean on the bottom as it initially had a slight hanging idle and also hesitation. Rich will always drop RPM quick and many times stall. Also hesitation got worse under higher load (higher gears). Its a 250 so less of a signal than the 300 as well. The NEDJ will certainly tell you if your going in the right direction if your not sure now. The starting with/without choke is not the best indicator to use diagnosing a problem. My bike is jetted spot on and will start cold (now, not freezing cold) with the estart if the button is bumped while on the stand. It will usually stall quickly though. I added a switch under the seat to kill the estart as I have accidentally started the bike a few times.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby david.bergen » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks to all for the suggestions,
I am sure I'll get the carb dialed in with all the help
david.bergen

Postby david.bergen » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:44 am

What is the relation between needle and pilot jet ?
With the NOZJ needle the 35 pilot was rich
with the NEDW needle even 38 felt lean ( hanging idle)
Stock needle was in #3 as factory setting ,now I am using the NEDW in #2
Will the needle clip position also have a influence on the pilot ?
david.bergen

Postby GMP » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:09 am

The pilot and needle straight dia overlap a bit, all circuits overlap their adjacent circuit slightly. The big difference with the NE** series is the straight dia is longer, so things don't get as rich so fast. The NOZJ, while a leaner dia., goes on the taper faster so it gets richer quicker off idle.

If your confused lean/rich do as Hammer suggests, it will be obviously worse if lean. If your sure its lean, try the H dia. Are you in the UK? If so we are talking different fuels too.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby david.bergen » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:20 pm

I tried the NEDJ needle with both the 40 pilot and the 38 pilot.
Best at the moment is the 38 pilot with the NEDJ needle at the 3 position. ( hammers suggestion)
No problem when I wack the thoatlle open with low rpm in 3 and 4 gear so that is good.
Problem is it is again four stroking when giving small throatle openings. ( there I liked the NEDW needle clip at 2 position best) Seems that I have to make a compromise between the two settings
I am living in Belgium . Fuell is Shell 98 with 1/50 Maxima k2 oil.
Fuell has 5% alkohol in it
david.bergen

PreviousNext

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke