Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Re: NEDW needle

Postby david.bergen » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:09 am

Is this considered a hanging idle ?
https://youtu.be/9FBkQZVUy_w
david.bergen

Postby nevermind » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:38 am

david.bergen wrote:Is this considered a hanging idle ?
https://youtu.be/9FBkQZVUy_w

No, that is not a hanging idle. Once rev'd out, it gently falls back to idle. When my idle hangs I have to add a load to get it to come back down to idle. This is usually done by just gently letting out the clutch a small bit when the bike is in gear.
nevermind

Postby bryanaverill » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:32 pm

david,
I use a NECJ needle middle clip groove on my 2016 250rr. All other jetting is completely stock. I ride between 200 and 5000ft. I have no off idle stutter when whacking the throttle from very low rpm in gear. If I deliberately open the throttle all the way to the stop in a higher gear at very low rpm, the engine will die. However, this scenario is not one in which an average rider would experience. I will say that my 250rr is much more responsive AND stall resistant than any other bike I've ridden (two or four stroke).

In my personal experience, the clip position has the most meaningful effect on the whack the throttle and chug-chug tests. Yes, you can effect it with the pilot jet, but then you introduce idling problems (usually too rich) and it may load and stall on long idling down hill sections. That's just my experience on Beta, KTM, and GG two-strokes.

Personally, I tune the pilot for idle, the main for w.o.t., and the needle for everything else. Best thing about the 250rr is that the pilot and main are already spot on and the NECJ needle works wonderfully.

All my experience only. Your results may vary.
bryanaverill

Postby Clearvu1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:58 pm

My experience as well Brian. I'm using the NECJ in 2nd clip position from top, stock 35 pilot and 165 main. I was getting a little too much spooge with the needle in the middle position. Similar elevation to you. Bike is amazing, pulls down low like no other then revs to the moon, clean all the way. I have a KTM 300 that I just can't get to run as well as the Beta.
Clearvu1

Postby bryanaverill » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:30 am

Yea, I get a little spooge but I don't care. Sign of a happy motor in my opinion. I tried the second clip and it's slightly boggy for me under very low rpm/high load conditions. I ride in OR most of the time. I use the second clip above 5000ft for riding in ID and UT and it works great there. That's all I ever do for altitude, just one needle clip change.
bryanaverill

Postby david.bergen » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:20 am

Just received an email telling me the NECJ needle is in.
What should be the starting setting?
38 pilot 168 main and needle clip in #3

At the moment I am running pilot 35 main 168
and the stock needle in position #1
Like it but still a bit blubbery at the small throatlle
david.bergen

Postby Hammer » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:30 pm

Start with the needle in the middle, 165 and 35. Enjoy!
Hammer

Postby bikesparky » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:31 pm

Hammer wrote:Start with the needle in the middle, 165 and 35. Enjoy!

+1 couldn't agree more!
bikesparky

Postby Johnno » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:45 pm

I ordered an NECJ today and after I check to positively identify the correct pilot and main are in the carb I'll be starting in position #3 because local anecdotal evidence suggests it's the place to be.

Mine starts cold idles fine runs good but has a slight part throttle burble and is a bit of a dog when you want it gain revs on a hill.

I've wound the pv in incrementally and find it works best if it's flush, that's for me personally.

It's only $15 for a needle so what the hey!

Edit: pretty sure if I smashed the gas open from low revs I would die, on flat ground anyway. Getting it to get back up in second on steep climbs if I've let it lug right down, that's what I wanna fix. Winding in the pv makes it steadily worse, half turn, three quarters, one etc.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Bandicoot » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:39 am

Johnno wrote:I ordered an NECJ today and after I check to positively identify the correct pilot and main are in the carb I'll be starting in position #3 because local anecdotal evidence suggests it's the place to be.

Mine starts cold idles fine runs good but has a slight part throttle burble and is a bit of a dog when you want it gain revs on a hill.

I've wound the pv in incrementally and find it works best if it's flush, that's for me personally.

It's only $15 for a needle so what the hey!

Edit: pretty sure if I smashed the gas open from low revs I would die, on flat ground anyway. Getting it to get back up in second on steep climbs if I've let it lug right down, that's what I wanna fix. Winding in the pv makes it steadily worse, half turn, three quarters, one etc.

You will find the NEDJ Clip2 in Australia works better ...
Then you can run the PV in a turn or 2 :D Let it lug you around up & down anything
Darren ..
If your not ridin' ... Your dyin' .. !!!
Keep on Roostin'
Bandicoot

PreviousNext

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke