What's this fluid coming from my new 250

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

What's this fluid coming from my new 250

Postby worstell » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:12 pm

Total 2 stroke noob here ...

Picked up my new 2016 250 from the dealer yesterday. When I unloaded it from the truck I noticed what appeared to be fuel in the bed of the truck. I assumed it was a common problem with the carb float level that I have read about here. I think I'll take it back to the dealer to adjust the float level because removing the car looks like a pain in the ass. If anyone can point me to directions on how to remove the carb, I might do it myself.

After I rode the bike around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes, I noticed some fluid on top of the swing arm. It appears to be coming from the drain on the bottom of the air box. I've attached one picture of the top of the swing arm just below the airbox, and one of the bottom of the air box. Anybody know what I'm looking at here? I assume it is 2 stroke engine oil, but not sure.

Edit: Apparently my pics were too big, so I will describe it instead. The first pic showed a dark green-blue flue on the swingarm just behind the shock and pooled in the recessed bolt access to the chain slider. The second showed what appears to be the same fluid coming from the drain hole on the bottom of the air box, immediately above the the wet spots on the swingarm
2018 Beta 390 RR-S
2016 Beta 250RR sold
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W sold
worstell

Re: What's this fluid coming from my new 250

Postby ricoyam » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Pull out the air filter, take it off the cage and knead it to redistribute the oil. That should fix your problem. The filter is probably over oiled and from sitting, the oil is dripping off. Quite a common situation.

You best learn how to remove your carb. You should be able to do this on the side of the trail in a freezing rain with tools you have in your own fannypack. Seriously. Don't worry, you can learn but the dealer ain't going to be there to help 30 miles from your truck.

I agree about the photo size issue. It sucks and has kept me from being able to upload photos. I usually check the forum from an iPad and it is not handy for resizing photos on the fly.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby NZMarkb » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Yep sounds like filter oil
It's also a good idea when transporting your bike to turn the fuel off anyway
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Postby worstell » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:16 am

Yes, my first thought was that it was air filter oil. So I pulled the airbox cover to have a look, but did not pull the filter out. The air filter appears to be lightly oiled with a light colored oil. The stuff on the swingarm was dark and blue green. I looked at the stuff in the engine oil bottle (Motul 710) and that is definitely what it is. Remember, I am 2 stroke noon so did not recognize what it was at first.

Is it possible there is a little leakage from the oil injection system when it is operating that is dripping into the air box?
2018 Beta 390 RR-S
2016 Beta 250RR sold
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W sold
worstell

Postby david.bergen » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:51 am

If the oil reservoir is overfilled oil will come out the breather tube which is located in the airbox area ( just behind the top)
david.bergen

Postby worstell » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:20 am

I thought that might be the cause, but did not see an overflow tube coming from the top of the oil tank. Must have overlooked it.
2018 Beta 390 RR-S
2016 Beta 250RR sold
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W sold
worstell

Postby sasrocks » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:35 am

david.bergen wrote:If the oil reservoir is overfilled oil will come out the breather tube which is located in the airbox area ( just behind the top)

this is the likely cause.happened to me once.
sasrocks

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke