My 300RR needle findings

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

My 300RR needle findings

Postby Johnno » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:50 pm

Okay as typed elsewhere I stuck an NECJ position #3 and found it pretty good over the stock needle ( jets are stock ) But it had this slight lean indication that admittedly you had to provoke. But it ran very evenly and didn't do that surge thing I got when buzzing it 2nd or 3rd as I headed towards a challenge like a hill or whatever.

So, I figured an NECW in position #3 would perfect. It isn't.. It gurgles slightly ( no where as bad as the stock needle compared to NECJ ) and just doesn't feel as nice as the NECJ.

But, I can not get it to pink or show signs of leaness. I wonder that position #2 would get me where I wanna be. The crisp smoothness of the NECJ without the TINK! when I really gas it and shut off. It sort of smelled a bit hot when I really gave it a serve for a while with the NECJ but I put that down to the spooge in the spark arrester after flubbering around with the stock needle.

I will hopefully get an NEDW tomorrow and try it at #2. If it's good I'll leave it. If not I'll try the NECW at #2.

I am going away for a few days next week riding and if I am still fiddling with it then so be it.

Hopefully not. I set the mixture screw as well, first time I touched it. It was a tad rich but really made no diff after I adjusted it with the NECW and did a lap of the hood.
Loose...
Johnno

Re: My 300RR needle findings

Postby Bandicoot » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Ive jetted a tonne of these bikes using the NEDJ needle on clip 2
Running the stock jets 38 PJ & 165 MJ but the A/S is adjusted between the 1.5 turns out to 1.75 turns out.

Out of the 100's of bikes using this setup Ive only found a couple that didnt like the linear crisp throttle this gives you.
I find when the squish has been corrected the NECW/NEDW needles work the best but with the stock head the above setting work well !!

But adjusting the PV to about 2 turns in from flush work well with the above jetting .. if running less Pre-load on the PV will give the indication of a lean spike or a lean affect as your describing ...
Darren ..
If your not ridin' ... Your dyin' .. !!!
Keep on Roostin'
Bandicoot

Postby Johnno » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Gah, I thought it was the NECW you recommended.

Spewin.

I was really stunned at the difference between the NECJ and the NECW.

I suppose I owe it to myself to try the NECW at #2.

I am off to Bike Territory next Monday so I am basically going to have to piss with the dick I have.

I should get the NEDW tomorrow if things follow the script.

One of them has to be close. The NECJ so far is the nicest ( without adjusting the clip from #3 on NECW ) but mmmmmm... I am just not 100% on it.

I have wound my PV out all the way and back in a 1/4. That suits me for now. If I wind it in it hates me.

But, I will experiment with it once I get the needle right.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby bikesparky » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:41 pm

I still use the NECJ needle, after fixing the o-rings in the head it ran a bit lean due to the compression being proper now.
I just lifted the needle one clip to position 2 and it runs fine. The buzz is back!
Still 38 pilot and 165 main.
bikesparky

Postby Johnno » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:02 pm

Well that's interesting, for me position 3 with necj was lean by about a bees Dick. I would have thought pos 2 would no good at all.

Or do you mean second from the bottom??
Loose...
Johnno

Postby cluffie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:51 am

Johnno wrote:Well that's interesting, for me position 3 with necj was lean by about a bees Dick. I would have thought pos 2 would no good at all.

if he lifted the needle then that is richer and known as clip 4. you always go from the top of the needle down when talking clip positions.
cluffie

Postby Johnno » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 am

It was always my understanding that the top clip was number 1.

So yes, our friend is referring to position 4, not 2 as he typed.

Okay, there is a ANOTHER option to try, NECJ position 4 :)

How different would that be from NECW position 2?

6 of one half doz of the other?

Edit, I am trying the NECJ at #4 first thing tomorrow morning.. F*%$ the neighbours.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby bikesparky » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:26 am

cluffie wrote:
Johnno wrote:Well that's interesting, for me position 3 with necj was lean by about a bees Dick. I would have thought pos 2 would no good at all.

if he lifted the needle then that is richer and known as clip 4. you always go from the top of the needle down when talking clip positions.

My bad, yes I mean position 4! One richer from the middle clip.
bikesparky

Postby Johnno » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:33 am

I've refitted the NECJ at position # 4. I'll give a hit round the hood after my push bike ride tomorrow morning.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby GMP » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:55 am

NEDJ #3 would be my next move
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Next

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke