My 300RR needle findings

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Re: My 300RR needle findings

Postby Johnno » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:27 pm

I think the NEDJ #3 would probably be the magic bullet but I'm not getting one before I go away next Monday I don't think.

The NECJ @ #4 might be passable, I'll find out soon!
Loose...
Johnno

Postby bikesparky » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Johnno wrote:I think the NEDJ #3 would probably be the magic bullet but I'm not getting one before I go away next Monday I don't think.

The NECJ @ #4 might be passable, I'll find out soon!

Yeah, I was under the same impression that the one clip richer would be too much but it runs fine, still get well over 100km out of a tank too.

NEDJ is only half a clip richer per position so it might be the silver bullet for some. Needles are cheap, worth a try.
The other one is to find a tiny washer that is about half a clip position and fit it under it.
We used that in the old days to do a bit of fine tuning when the proper needles were not available.
bikesparky

Postby Johnno » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:48 pm

On the plus side, I can change the needle from go to whoa in under 10 minutes now.

Here's a tip, if you're bench is cluttered and you're cack handed like me, put the needle in a plastic bag when you push the clip off.

That's if you can't be bothered with pliers or whatever.

The first time I removed the clip ( I knew better too ) I sat at my desk and just quickly pushed down on the clip with the needle parallel with the desk top.

PING! The clip disappeared. I think it went vertical about 6 feet because I sat there stunned for a second or so and then it landed on the desk in front of me...

When I bought a new needle, I ordered a clip, just in case. I have a clip for every needle now save the stock one.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Johnno » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:31 pm

I just tried the NECJ on #4 and it's remarkably less crisp at part throttle than it is at #3.

It's better than NECW at #3, but no as nice as NECJ #3.

NEDW isn't going to be my friend, I was going to try that at #2.

I could end up running NECJ #3 next week and just watching my arse.

That's looking like the best option.

Good news from this last test was the Windham Mid RM bars I fitted are good.

Really good I think. I had RC Tall on there and while I liked the sweep, much less pain in the palms of my hands, I couldn't gel with the tallness sitting down.

I refitted the OEM 300 bars and had no problem with back pain standing up ( why I went to the RC Tall ) but I am doing body positioning different now.

The almost zero sweep of the stock bars will give me pain in the palms of my hands in minutes. Literally at the end of the street as I hit the dirt of my R&D area.

These new bars are taller than stock but not RC Tall ape hanger, They have a similar sweep to the RC and felt great just now.

I will order an NEDJ needle ( if they don't have one, they won't ) when I collect the NEDW.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby bikesparky » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:22 pm

Johnno wrote:I just tried the NECJ on #4 and it's remarkably less crisp at part throttle than it is at #3.

It's better than NECW at #3, but no as nice as NECJ #3.

NEDW isn't going to be my friend, I was going to try that at #2.

I could end up running NECJ #3 next week and just watching my arse.

Hunt around your spare washer box for a tiny washer and try that under the NECJ #3. An electronics type washer works like from computer stuff and such.
bikesparky

Postby Johnno » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:25 pm

I've got an NEDW to try at #2. If that's no good the NECJ will go in at #3 and will stay there until I get back next week and try the NEDJ.

NEDW is going right now.

Edit: I think we have ( for now ) a winner.

Now, aggressive map wire grounded, Power Valve wound all the way out and then back in about 1/16 of a turn with the NEDW at #2 and mixture screw 1.5 it runs nice.

it's a bit frisky too. Not OMFG! Just, hey there ;) I'll take everything I have with me and assess as I go but I think for what we'll encounter we are good in the hood.

I might see what 1/4 of a turn in on the mixture does or maybe 1/2.

All that waffle aside, I have an NEDJ to collect on my way home from Bike Territory next week and we'll see what that does.

Thanks for the input guys!
Last edited by Johnno on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Leon_RR250 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:09 am

HI!

I think for jetting issues we should always state something about temps, continent, country, etc. Eg, for Finnish climate, the stock setup for the 2016 300 is way too lean. For winter (0 C or less) it has run great with very good consumption with: 42 pilot, NEDH #3, 180 main and adjusting the air screw for different temps and/or humidity levels. For higher than 2 C and up to 25 C in July it has run great with: 40 pilot, NECW #3, 178 main and adjusting the air screw according to different cases. Really linear and powerful and never lugging when cracking the throttle (this is helped also from the correct amount of oil supplied from the OI to the engine according to different driving conditions). Consumption was very good too. When around the 25 C range I could have tried some other needle and maybe a #175 main but I did not feel the need for it really.

Leon
Leon_RR250

Postby david.bergen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:24 am

Leon_RR250 wrote:HI!

I think for jetting issues we should always state something about temps, continent, country, etc. Eg, for Finnish climate, the stock setup for the 2016 300 is way too lean. For winter (0 C or less) it has run great with very good consumption with: 42 pilot, NEDH #3, 180 main and adjusting the air screw for different temps and/or humidity levels. For higher than 2 C and up to 25 C in July it has run great with: 40 pilot, NECW #3, 178 main and adjusting the air screw according to different cases. Really linear and powerful and never lugging when cracking the throttle (this is helped also from the correct amount of oil supplied from the OI to the engine according to different driving conditions). Consumption was very good too. When around the 25 C range I could have tried some other needle and maybe a #175 main but I did not feel the need for it really.

Leon

Leon is this for the 250 ?
I am running NEDW clip 3 with 38 pilot and 168 main.
Sealevel and temp approx 12°C
This is with the rr 250.
david.bergen

Postby Leon_RR250 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:49 am

Hi!

I wrote that it is for the 2016 300... :)
Leon_RR250

Postby Johnno » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:10 am

Leon is quite correct.

I am in Australia where its pretty much sea level and hot. The tallest mountain we have is 7,300 feet. My brother drove his HQ Holden to the top in 1971 when you were still allowed too...

We have good fuel. It can get cool-ish here. But not consistently brrrrrrrr for most of us, some might experience cold weather but not like Northern America or Europe.
Loose...
Johnno

PreviousNext

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke