"No Toil" air filter oil

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

"No Toil" air filter oil

Postby Survivor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:55 pm

I have read that the "No Toil" air filter oil is damaging the glue of the OEM filter, does anyone have experience with it and is it true that it will damage the glue of the OEM filter?
Is the recommended one by "Beta/Motul Air Filter Oil" a better choice than the "No Toil"?
Thanks for your help.
Survivor

Re: "No Toil" air filter oil

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:24 pm

There are two types of No Toil Red alcohol based this damages some filters and green which doesn't damage filters. I love the stuff but from my experience it doesn't work well on the Beta on my 2014 YZ250f its awesome.

MM
Marty Moose

Postby jpbova » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:35 pm

I have been using no toil for years. I have not noticed that it harms the filter. Filter oil is filter oil. The purpose is to dry tacky. I like no toil because you can use oxy clean to clean your filter
jpbova

Postby Deck1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:35 pm

I used to use No Toil on all my bikes, and was pretty happy with it. I switched over to Motorex Racing Bio Liquid Power, which seems to work well. Dawn dish soap seems to break it down pretty well. No Toil touts being able to wash filters in the clothes washer. I never tried this, because I didn't dare ruin the wife's clothes for the next several loads. I wouldn't think that any of the filter oils are good for your house plumbing, anyways.
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby BassMan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:24 pm

I use it in my 4 filters and have never noticed any issues, 3 twin air and 1 profilter, I also run the filter skinz.
BassMan

Postby Johnno » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:12 pm

I personally dare a married forum member to put a soiled air filter in the washing machine, tell his spouse that he did then do a post on his experiences.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby redbone477 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:18 pm

Well, okay then, I have washed my filters in the washing machine many of times. She (the wife) didn't know at first. Surprisingly when she found out she didn't say anything! Probably didn't really understand what I was doing. Anyhow I stopped because I kept getting dog hair stuck in the pores of the filters. I would have figured the dog hair from our clothes would have gone out the drain during the wash cycle but wrong! Anyway that washing machine was replaced about a year ago. Haven't bothered using the new one. I use the red no-toil and clean with oxy clean. Yes I have had the glue seams come apart, but it was after nearly a year of use. The alcohol does eat at the glue over time.
redbone477

Postby jpbova » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:31 am

I soak mine in the laundry utility sink. Washing it in the washing machine is asking for trouble. If not with the washing machine, then with the missus.
jpbova

Postby typeone » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:32 am

I used to use the red NoToil and loved it until it ruined one of my filters. i wrote to NoToil and they sent me a new filter asap, great CS.

switched to the green NoToil after that and haven't had any filter damage but it just doesn't work as well as the red version with alcohol. the green takes a long time to dry and doesn't last very long. it also always migrates to whatever end of the filter is pointing down (i like to have 3 filters in rotation, storing two in a bag) which can be messy. you also have to oil the filter slowly by hand rather than dunking and squeezing excess. always ends up with way too much oil on the filter when i've tried that method. i wonder if i could try a spray bottle that could push thick liquid, that would be the best way to use the green. maybe an olive oil sprayer?? i should try it.

having said all that, i'm still a fan of the green just because it's stupid easy to clean with OxiClean right in the kitchn sink. as long as i oil lightly and clean frequently, the system works.
'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

Postby ricoyam » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:52 am

The red No Toil will eat the glues used in most other filters. Best to use it with No Toil filters. At work, on Chris's bikes I use No Toil oil, cleaner and filters almost exclusively. The filters still need to be replaced after about 6 washings or so.

On my bikes at home I switched to Motorex. Still use the Twin Air filters which I prefer and so far haven't had any issues.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Next

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke