UK sea level jetting????

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Re: UK sea level jetting????

Postby farmerpaul » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:22 pm

Dibbs,

Before you go changing the main and pilot I would suggest you check that your pilot circuit is tuned correctly (jetting a 2T is not rocket science, you do, however, need to be methodical and change one item at a time in the correct order).

Warm your engine up to normal operation temperature. Increase the tickover by approx. 500 rpm (this just helps prevents the engine from stalling). Wind in the airscrew and then out until you find the point where the tickover is the highest. If the highest tickover is less than a turn out (from fully in) your pilot is too lean. If the highest tickover is more than 2.5 turns out (again from fully in) your pilot is too rich. Adjust the pliot jet accordingly.

Remember, the pilot jet affects the whole rev range. Once you have the right pilot jet, you can play with mains and needles.

Hope this helps.
farmerpaul

Postby dibbs » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:58 pm

Thanks FP I will try this first but want to get the air screw sorted out first as it stops turning at 2 turns out! so once ive freed it up I will try what you suggest :D .
dibbs

Postby dibbs » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:10 pm

Sprayed some plusgas on the airscrew thread and its done the trick! I can now turn the screw out as far as needed. So next step is to try a 40 pilot jet using your method Paul 8-)
dibbs

Postby dibbs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:49 am

So quick update. I had a chat with my localish dealer and Changed the jets on the beta from 165 main to a 168 and 40 pilot from a 38, a/s 1 1/2 turns went for a spin and the mid range and top end have noticeably more snap, bottom end a bit jerky! but no bogging, would just messing with the air screw sort this out? so will see how this goes. this is at low level, and normal summer UK temp! he said I might need to go up to a 170 main for winter.
dibbs

Previous

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke