carb vent hoses

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

carb vent hoses

Postby chalumpalump » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:46 am

during a ride there were several deep water crossings and my bike sputtered out and took a bit to get restarted. water wasn't deep enough to get into airbox but was deep enough to cover all carb vent hoses. i see on a youtube video that "top" vent hoses should be rerouted to air box to fix this. but the video only showed left side of carb. so i am not sure if all 4 top hoses are to be rerouted or the 2 on left side?

my bike is a 2106 x trainer

i had same problem on my 07 klr650 but that was easy fix with the "t mod". which is adding a T to vent hose and running a 2nd hose from the T up under tank. it was 1 hose. but this video (only one i could find) said "top hoses" which i assume means above bowl mating surface. but there are 4 hoses above that point. so i am kinda confused as to which hose/hoses need to be re routed.
chalumpalump

Re: carb vent hoses

Postby redrider » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:31 am

Yes, routing the vent hoses to the airbox is a great idea, but I'd also recommend putting small filters on them as well. Like fuel line filters which are very cheap.

Doubt you'd do this, but be certain not to rout the carb drain line higher than the carb.
redrider

Postby chalumpalump » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:46 pm

called local beta dealer and spoke to mechanic. spose i shoulda just done that from start. he said the 2 vent hoses that are held together by shrink tube that run over top of carb need to be re routed, or better yet, cut and a t installed and another piece of hose added and ran up high under tank or in air box. which is commonly known as the "t mod".
chalumpalump

Postby muttly » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Stupid question! but the carb has four vents lines from what i can see,two on the sides and two on the top. are the top ones the vents and the side ones the overflow/drains, looking to do this mod on my 2018 250 rr...

Thanks
muttly

Postby serialize » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:15 am

When I did this I routed all four vents front the top/sides of the carb up into the airbox (kind of where the tank connects to the rear subframe you can fit the hoses through from there under the tank). The one vent for the bowl that is on the bottom of the carb I just left if down below in its original position since it will drain fuel and you don't want that in your air box or on the air filter.
serialize

Postby Grip » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:34 am

This puzzled me for a while too. I have a 2015 430RR, and already has a T mod on the vent hoses.

My dealer suggested it's not the vents at all, but it's the sudden temperature drop from the cold water dousing half of the engine. Keep the revs up and/or give it a little choke to restart.
Grip

Postby silver_fox » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Grip wrote:This puzzled me for a while too. I have a 2015 430RR, and already has a T mod on the vent hoses.

My dealer suggested it's not the vents at all, but it's the sudden temperature drop from the cold water dousing half of the engine. Keep the revs up and/or give it a little choke to restart.

Your dealer actually said that? Absolutely no truth to that theory.
silver_fox

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:54 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=pc+raci ... CM&uact=26

I had this on my cr. It’s another option.
hawaiidirtrider

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke