Pilot size , air screw setting versus rear wheel traction

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Pilot size , air screw setting versus rear wheel traction

Postby david.bergen » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:22 pm

We are getting more and more rain and mud on the trails. This is making traction much more difficult. Tried riding higher gear but wheel goes to a sudden spin with minimal throatle opening. At the moment I am running NEDW needle clip 3 , 38 pilot and 165 main. When setting my airscrew I get max rpm in the 2-2 1/4 turns range.
I use most off time the 1,5 turn out. Bike runs very strong and respond very fast on small throatle opening , but it's also creating bad traction when speed is low. I tried various powervalve setting to make it a bit more 4t tractable, but found no setting I liked. Last thing I changed was the airscrew setting. I turned it in completely and opened it 3/4 turn. Engine is a lot smoother down low and the slow technical muddy sections are so much easier.
Should I change the pilot to 40 size so I can have the same effect but with a normal airscrew setting ( between 1-2 turns out) particulary when earlier pilot testing showed the 38 was already on the fat side. ( 38 pilot is giving me max rpm at AS 2 1/4 turn out. )
Who can school me on this ?
Best,
David
david.bergen

Re: Pilot size , air screw setting versus rear wheel tractio

Postby aj_mariner » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:43 pm

‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby KB112 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:12 pm

I run the same jetting as you and will throw in a 40p and nedh 3 once it gets a little colder. Im not sure thats gonna help much with traction. Do you have a map switch? The most important thing is just gonna be technique, using the clutch and your weight.
KB112

Postby Yorick » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm no expert, but always assumed that suspension had a big impact on grip. My background is road racing and we always got better tyre management if the suspension was properly set up.
Beta X-Trainer
GSXR1000
Yorick

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 pm

What is your tire pressure? What is your tire choice? If you have the stock tire please give it away. I hate that tire. Where you live and terrain make a big difference too for tire choice. I like an Ibex kenda for a good hybrid knobby but that’s for where Im at.

As far as my jetting?
My bike is completely stock with the pv about half way out. Bike is a tiny bit fat but for technical trails it’s good.
In super technical I go from 3 to 7 lbs .. for the real slippery. Just start high and gradually go down.
hawaiidirtrider

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke