Air Filter Cleaning and Oil ?

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Re: Air Filter Cleaning and Oil ?

Postby Goatse » Thu May 10, 2018 7:34 pm

moto367 wrote:I used No toil...ONCE. Sucked dirt right through at the 2011 Jack Pine national enduro on a KXF 250. What's crazy is the filter looked half way clean. Dirt sucked right through with no build up on the outside. Removed the filter and the inside of the air boot was coated with dirt. Went back to using Bel-Ray. I now use Maxima. Kerosene to clean out the oil and Dawn dish soap a few times after that. No worries.

Something is off in your application. I've got hundreds of hours using it and inspect the air boot on every single change. Not once have I seen even a fleck of dust. Even on MX days where the filter is a giant pile of dust on the outside. The valves on my FX barely moved in over 165 hours, so that's a pretty big indicator of things not getting by.
Goatse

Postby Lonesome Dave » Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 pm

The last five years or so I've used mineral spirits and cold water method. It's simple, cheap, and fast. Check out the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sURkpDF ... e=youtu.be
The worse part is the cold water on the hands, but it works very fast.

For what its worth, my bike mechanic sells "no toil" but does not use it. He said many people like it, but he doesn't feel it traps the dirt as well as petroleum based. He uses Maxima and so do I.
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby Goatse » Thu May 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Lonesome Dave wrote: mineral spirits and cold water method

Not a chance mineral spirits is being let loose in my house every single weekend during the summer. That stuff sure stinks.

First, I'd have a headache from the smell.

Second, I'd have an even worse headache from my wife b*tching about the smell.
Goatse

Postby NW_250RR » Thu May 10, 2018 10:21 pm

No-Toil Red filter oil w/ oxy clean to clean it. By far the easiest method I have found for cleaning the filters. Bought a big tub of oxy clean powder for a fraction of the cost of the NO-toil cleaner. Works exactly the same. Never seen any dirt get through and never have had any issues with the red version breaking down the filters.
NW_250RR

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Thu May 10, 2018 11:02 pm

I think Im using maxima now but used no toil and others..
hawaiidirtrider

Postby moto367 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:45 am

Goatse wrote:
moto367 wrote:I used No toil...ONCE. Sucked dirt right through at the 2011 Jack Pine national enduro on a KXF 250. What's crazy is the filter looked half way clean. Dirt sucked right through with no build up on the outside. Removed the filter and the inside of the air boot was coated with dirt. Went back to using Bel-Ray. I now use Maxima. Kerosene to clean out the oil and Dawn dish soap a few times after that. No worries.

Something is off in your application. I've got hundreds of hours using it and inspect the air boot on every single change. Not once have I seen even a fleck of dust. Even on MX days where the filter is a giant pile of dust on the outside. The valves on my FX barely moved in over 165 hours, so that's a pretty big indicator of things not getting by.

When I used it the oil did not do it's job trapping the dirt. The filter was relatively clean looking at it. The dirt was pulled right through the foam and into the motor. I would have rather seen a filter packed full of dirt on the outside but it wasn't. Unfortunate luck I guess. It was easy to use but after this experience I figure petro products were best.
moto367

Postby Yorick » Fri May 11, 2018 5:25 am

Thanks all for the great info :)
Beta X-Trainer
GSXR1000
Yorick

Postby Lonesome Dave » Fri May 11, 2018 6:34 am

Goatse wrote:
Lonesome Dave wrote: mineral spirits and cold water method

Not a chance mineral spirits is being let loose in my house. That stuff sure stinks.

Watch the video.......you do it outside, same place you ride!
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby brysonrs » Thu May 17, 2018 10:05 am

I did the no toil thing and it worked okay, but you can't leave the oil on a filter very long or it will harden up and your filter is ruined. I also saw a little bit of dust get through and when jetting there would be dust in my carb. Since switching to Maxima FFT I haven't had a single speck of dust and it has worked flawlessly. I use kerosene in a bucket to clean, just let it sit in there for a minute or two and then rinse in soap and water.

I'll sacrifice a slight bit of convenience for the better performance of FFT.

I saw this video and didn't believe it so I tried it with two brand new twin air filters, one with no toil and the other with Maxima. I got the exact same results as the video. I think the petroleum based products are hydrophobic and push the water away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpzK6Wm_BDs
2017 300RR Race Edition
brysonrs

Postby chasejj » Thu May 17, 2018 12:01 pm

I used No-Toil for quite awhile but found it wasn't the best at trapping dirt and shedding water
TwinAir Bio (Green oil) and Cleaner is now my go to. I only use their filters as well as they last forever and don't delam at the glue seam. I had multiple NoToil filters delam.
The way to go is have a few extra filters . Once oiled up I leave them to air out and get dry/tacky for a few days in the garage. Then bag them up for use. Putting them in your bike wet is a recipe for oil drips in your airboot and airbox which leads to the water drain getting clogged up in the bottom of the airbox.
chasejj

Previous

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke