float height

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Re: float height

Postby Alta Redneck » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:28 pm

GMP wrote:The last pic is relative to the newer carbs on the Betas. The other pics are of the older screw top carbs sometimes called Airstryker 1s, or AS1s, but the level should be measured at the angle where the needle just closes as well. Mine is set like the last pic and no problems.

So I was playing with the float heights for the first time ever today so forgive my ignorance. So I held the carb Like the last photo and with an angle meter I tried blowing threw the gas intake line. I adjusted the float to that at 60 degrees it closed so I couldn't through anymore. That sound about right?
Alta Redneck

Postby mlstevens » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:54 pm

Not exactly. The reason for 60 degree is so as not to compress the float valve but to just shut it. Then it should be 2mm higher than level. Use a steel rule at right angles to the carb and measure to the highest point. 2mm higher than when the float is level as pictured.
I think its 2mm if any one can confirm.
Also can some one tell me the consequences of going more than 2mm?
mlstevens

Postby Yrocmoto » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:08 am

mlstevens wrote:Also can some one tell me the consequences of going more than 2mm?

You could run out of gas when running wide open for long periods. I had this happen to me in a race years ago, my bike would die on the straights, then the bowl would fill and it would run fine again until I hit a long straight. I knew it was the float as I had adjusted it and was actually worried that I went too far...
Yrocmoto

Postby Mikhail » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:46 am

Guys, is it normal, that when I tilt the bike to the left, the fuel starts pissing at cca 40 degrees (from vertical position), but when I tilt it to the right, it starts dripping at about 60 degrees (from vertical position)...in other words that I can tilt the bike to the right much more without the fuel spillage?

I think my carb is rotated at proper angle (there is a dot marking on the engine intake and also one on the carb - are those the markings for horizontal alignment?), and also visually it is at right position. Then how come I can tilt more to one side - is it because my overflow tube is exiting to the left from the float bowl?

Should it be evened out?

Many thanks in advance for kind advice.
Mikhail

Postby mtdirtbag » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Mikhail wrote:Guys, is it normal, that when I tilt the bike to the left, the fuel starts pissing at cca 40 degrees (from vertical position), but when I tilt it to the right, it starts dripping at about 60 degrees (from vertical position)...in other words that I can tilt the bike to the right much more without the fuel spillage?

I think my carb is rotated at proper angle (there is a dot marking on the engine intake and also one on the carb - are those the markings for horizontal alignment?), and also visually it is at right position. Then how come I can tilt more to one side - is it because my overflow tube is exiting to the left from the float bowl?

Should it be evened out?

On my 300 I had what I considered a problem with fuel mileage, my Beta dribbled out the overflow when on the kickstand and on less than level ground. When I adjusted my jetting for my area I lowered my float a smidgen, not very accurate but it made all the difference in mileage along with the jetting. I think if you search here you will find most have done that, plus there are pictures of a loop set-up for the overflow tube. It has also been brought up that it can't make a difference in mileage; I agree it does not in fuel burned but I believe a lot of fuel was sent to the ground which affected my miles per gallon.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby Mikhail » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:03 pm

mtdirtbag wrote:
Mikhail wrote:Guys, is it normal, that when I tilt the bike to the left, the fuel starts pissing at cca 40 degrees (from vertical position), but when I tilt it to the right, it starts dripping at about 60 degrees (from vertical position)...in other words that I can tilt the bike to the right much more without the fuel spillage?

Should it be evened out?

On my 300 I had what I considered a problem with fuel mileage, my Beta dribbled out the overflow when on the kickstand and on less than level ground. When I adjusted my jetting for my area I lowered my float a smidgen, not very accurate but it made all the difference in mileage along with the jetting. I think if you search here you will find most have done that, plus there are pictures of a loop set-up for the overflow tube. It has also been brought up that it can't make a difference in mileage; I agree it does not in fuel burned but I believe a lot of fuel was sent to the ground which affected my miles per gallon.

Thanks for the tip. But is it normal that my bike can be tilted more on one side than another before pissing fuel?
Mikhail

Postby mtdirtbag » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Can't answer that positively, I suppose it could be the shape of the bowl where the overflow tube is. But I did go back thru the carb section and found the pic showing the overflow utilizing a loop viewtopic.php?f=15&t=577&start=20 which would be one way to address it other that the float change - or - do both. I just know through my experience the float change took care of my problem.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby Mikhail » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:42 pm

mtdirtbag wrote:Can't answer that positively, I suppose it could be the shape of the bowl where the overflow tube is. But I did go back thru the carb section and found the pic showing the overflow utilizing a loop http://betarider.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=20 which would be one way to address it other that the float change - or - do both. I just know through my experience the float change took care of my problem.

Thanks a lot mate. Btw looking at the picture it just seems, that looping the overflow simply disables it, increasing the float level in whoops. I'm wondering, whether it doesnt overflow the carb, when terrain gets gnarly?
Mikhail

Postby ricoyam » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:04 pm

I think some of you are confusing what the float height is all about.
My recommendation is to set the float level to correct spec. It is important to the jetting to have the float level correct. If it is too low the jetting will go to what you could call a false lean. In extreme conditions you could run the float chamber out of fuel.

If the float level is correct and the vent lines are dribbling, make longer lines that route higher. You guys that run lots of deep water will know to do this anyway. Run them up and into the air box for the best protection.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby Mikhail » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:06 pm

I actually thought the vent lines (yes those can be routed to the airbox) are not the same as the overflow line, which is there to make sure that due to bumps, vibrations and bike tilting, the float level is still maintained below maximum threshold (excess fuel is spilled out) not to overflow the bike with too rich mixture.

If I make a loop as per picture posted in another thread - dont I disable the function of overflow hose?
Mikhail

PreviousNext

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke