Bike stalled, fuel starvation suspected

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Bike stalled, fuel starvation suspected

Postby babelfish » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:58 pm

My bike stalled today, rain, asphalt roads for 1 km, stalled 30 m from home.

I fires every so often but wont run more than a few seconds. Every little symptom tells me this is fuel related.

Now before I tear down the carb, could it be the vent lines? They are not rerouted and it was wet all the time I tried to make it run.
I am up for a race day on saturday so I want to to do the re-routing anyway but I am short on test time now and want to see if I am on the right path.

There is plenty of gas in the gas line, and there is now overflow.
babelfish

Re: Bike stalled, fuel starvation suspeceted

Postby twowheels » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:54 pm

A little more information might help, but it sounds like you have a two-stroke and might have a float and/or needle and seat issue. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take the carb off the bike and pull the bowl and at least look inside.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby mtdirtbag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Not sure where you are located, but could it be cold enough while riding down the road to freeze water in the vent hoses? Even if you don't re-route the vent lines it's a good idea to cut the ends at a 45 deg. angle to prevent closure from freezing.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby babelfish » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:32 am

Ok, som more info:
it's a 300 RR Racing 2016,
The temp was well over freezing but carb icing could absolutely have been an issue, except that the problem remained 3 hours later. (A warm engine would melt any carb icing in a short time)
I was on the asphalt for about 1 km but had been riding for about an hour in the forrest without any problems. Plenty of gas.
It fire just a willing as always when there are any gas there, but sputter and die.
babelfish

Postby Hubert Carpet » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:57 am

Have you checked the tank breather? When you are off road, you can sometimes mask a blocked or restricted breather pipe by gripping the tank and pumping the gas through.

If that's ok, try the fuel tap in the "reserve" position in case it's crap blocking the fuel tap filter. You may be able to check flow by disconnecting the fuel pipe at the carb end and running fuel into a jar.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Postby babelfish » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:57 am

It was pouring out when I disconnected the gas line.
No blocking and no vacuum three.
babelfish

Postby babelfish » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:23 am

The problem was the spark plug. When it got hot it failed. After a cool down it worked for a little while.
babelfish

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke