Postby fenderworks » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:40 pm

ok so here is what i have done:

lowered float level,
main jet to 148,
pilot stays the same at 35,
needle #2 position from top,
air adjust screw to 2 turns out,
idle screw set to good idle rpm.

bike runs well.......now i will be chasing gas mileage.
yesterday ran the gas tank dry at 51 miles....i would like to try to get 50 miles and then have reserve to get me home.
average speed was 11 mph. elevation right at 6000 ft.

what do you all think? any ideas for increased miles per tank?

thanks in advance,

bike has 240 miles and 15 hours
Last edited by fenderworks on Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenderworks
fenderworks

Re: 2020 xtrainer jetting and mileage

Postby mtdirtbag » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:31 pm

I would hope you lowered the float.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby fenderworks » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:08 pm

yea let me change that....i lowered the float level...i jus changed it on the original post
fenderworks
fenderworks

Postby wwguy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:38 am

fenderworks wrote:what do you all think? any ideas for increased miles per tank?

I'm too stupid or lazy (take your pick) to tinker with jetting throughout the riding season. Instead I run a 36mm Lectron carb on my 2016 Xtrainer and can't remember the last time I hit reserve level at less than 60 miles. 70 miles before reserve is typical for me, and I've made it as far as 80 miles a couple of times without hitting reserve.

On my next bike I'm going to the SmartCarb SC2, which wasn't available for the Xtrainer when I bought the Lectron. Sure, both carbs are expensive... but having enough fuel to finish the ride is priceless. At least to me anyway.

Below is a ride profile of a 79 mile ride where I never dropped to reserve level. (I was really close to reserve at the end though.) Admittedly, I do tend to shut down my engine and coast down long downhill sections where possible.

That terrain looks like this:

If interested, skip to 10:30 in this video to see how simple it is to adjust this carb compared to a standard jetted Keihin carb.
wwguy

Postby fenderworks » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:23 pm

smart carb looks nice and your lectron is nice also.
yea, i dont like to monkey with anything, just get it set right and let it be. i dont mind being rich in high elevation, i am sure there is a "magic" setting on the stock xtrainer carb, i will find it
i will keep on chasing the fuel mileage on the stock xtrainer.
my riding is also between 5000 and 12000 ft elevation....

wwguy,
79 miles with those elevation changes is FANTASTIC!
fenderworks
fenderworks

Postby fenderworks » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:31 pm

another nice ride today.
today i was in rain mode all day with the same results.
48 miles to dry gas tank.. average speed today 22 mph
i really like "rain" mode.

i will keep chasing my "50 miles before reserve dream" and will keep you all informed.

so here is a new question, why does my gas cap keep venting? emissions? do i need to drill this thing out? if i pop the gas vent line off the cap, you can tell its slowly releasing pressure for 30 min.? (or for who knows how long). this does not seem right.

302 miles, 18.7 hrs
fenderworks
fenderworks

Postby wwguy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:02 am

fenderworks wrote:so here is a new question, why does my gas cap keep venting? emissions? do i need to drill this thing out? if i pop the gas vent line off the cap, you can tell its slowly releasing pressure for 30 min.? (or for who knows how long). this does not seem right.

That green vent gizmo inside the gas cap has been giving some Beta riders fits ever since Beta went to that design for the 2017 model year. Some report issues with proper venting, which leads to starved fuel supply at higher RPMs. Others have been surprised to look into their gas tanks only to see the green vent rolling around in the bottom of the fuel tank.

On the 2016 and earlier bikes the one-way vent was in-line in the vent hose, as shown in my photo below. You should be able to pry off the green vent and toss it in the trash, then fit a 2016 vent and line in place externally. Part numbers are in the Beta parts catalogs posted on Beta USA's support page.

wwguy

Postby fenderworks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:59 pm

wwguy,

thanks for the reply....i will get this off today. its got to be a emission thing.
do i even need to but a 1 way anything is this vent line?
fenderworks
fenderworks

Postby wwguy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:20 pm

fenderworks wrote:do i even need to put a 1 way anything is this vent line?

The tank has to be vented so that air can enter to fill the empty space as fuel is consumed. Without a vent, vacuum is created in the tank that will eventually starve the carb for fuel. Gravity is the only force feeding the fuel from tank to carb, so it doesn't take much vacuum in the tank to stop the flow.

The purpose of the one-way valve is to let air into the tank while preventing fuel from going out in the other direction. Without the valve you'll have fuel leaking out of the vent line whenever the bike is in any position where fuel can enter it.

A lot of riders use inexpensive universal vents like this, which replace the vent line, but I don't like them because they tend to fall off while riding. I usually find a couple of them out on the trails every season.
wwguy

Postby fenderworks » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:48 pm

wwguy,

thanks, removed the green fuel vent thing. i was not worried about creating a vaccum, i was always hearing the pressure slowly releasing and thinking this is not good for the fuel mixtures. sometimes pressure, sometimes no pressure. so i removed it and now i dont have the pressure built up in the gas tank.
fenderworks
fenderworks

Next

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke