Popping on deceleration

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Re: Popping on deceleration

Postby Darkside » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:28 am

Did they raise compression in the '14 Race/'15 standard? My '13 Race and from what I have seen of '14 standards run flawless on pump 93, at sea level.

I think they did. When I test rode my dealers standard 14, he mentioned the race had a different head and possibly port timing changes
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby 300xtfreek » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:55 am

Have you tried to adjust the air screw yet? Deceleration pop has everything to do with pilot jet and air screw setting. Adjust air screw richer and try again. If air screw max out without curing it, you'll need a larger pilot jet.
I hope it's not knocking that you're hearing.
Vincent
300 X Trainer
300xtfreek

Postby Metalefty » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:15 am

Yes, this was explained in detail on my first post. I haven't ridden since then and haven't fiddled with the carb, I may try going up 2 sizes richer on the pilot the next time I'm in there which might not be till March. Right now I'm in snowmobile mode.
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Postby 300xtfreek » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:03 pm

Metalefty wrote:Yes, this was explained in detail on my first post. I haven't ridden since then and haven't fiddled with the carb, I may try going up 2 sizes richer on the pilot the next time I'm in there which might not be till March. Right now I'm in snowmobile mode.

I probably misunderstood your post as I did not see your indication of adjusting the air screw after went one size larger pilot. If you have gone up one size, which would be 38 now, air screw adjustment could be all you need. Unless there's a leak in the circuit. It won't hurt to unscrew the air screw and make sure all parts are in good order and reset to 1.5 turns. It'll only takes a couple minutes.
Yep, it's quite frozen here in eastern slope. All the best.
Vincent
300 X Trainer
300xtfreek

Postby ricoyam » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:00 pm

If this popping just started happening you might want to do a leak down test. Unless it was doing it right out of the box I don't think it's caused by jetting. Unless you changed the jetting then it started. I'd also check any place there could be an air leak.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby Metalefty » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:34 am

A leak down test might be the way to go. I did look for leaks around the engine with starter fluid and found no changes in rpm's. If a leak down test shows a leak, say in a seal, is this something that would be covered in warranty?
'15 Beta 300RR
'81 Yamaha YZ125
Metalefty

Postby ricoyam » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:59 pm

Metalefty wrote:A leak down test might be the way to go. I did look for leaks around the engine with starter fluid and found no changes in rpm's. If a leak down test shows a leak, say in a seal, is this something that would be covered in warranty?

Definitely any engine trouble should be covered.
If you suspect it you might want to call your dealer before you get too deep into it.
It could also be a leak around the power valve or even where the head pipe joins the cylinder. You should probably see a bit of goo there if there's a leak.
I don't know how probable this is but I wonder if it could be a CDI/igniter problem causing the timing to retard.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Previous

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke