250RR Jetting

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Re: 250RR Jetting

Postby OscarFox » Tue May 16, 2017 3:47 pm

So I tried out the NECJ needle the other day leaving everything else the same. It bogged very badly off idle when I opened the throttle quickly. I tried it in both the 1st and 2nd clip positions.

When I returned to the NOZK needle I get a much better response, and no splooge from the pipe. (Now I'm paranoid it may be too lean?) I also observed that if I stall out an a hill climb, slipping the clutch and applying throttle gives me some of idle hesitation and then the bike dies. Right now this is the only area where throttle response is lacking.

From what I've read the off idle bog could be too small of a pilot? Any advice moving forward would be helpful. I've read the jetting guide help on here and TT, but I've always found bouncing ideas of others who are knowledgable helps out too.

Again for reference, riding is typically between 4000 and 7000ft.
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby newbeta » Wed May 17, 2017 7:57 am

I don't know how much altitude affect jetting of the 250 but at near sea level some of us have great lunck with #3 clip NEDW needle - richer needle and richer clip position. Pitot 38.
Guess you're bike runs lean...
newbeta

Postby OscarFox » Wed May 17, 2017 8:22 am

newbeta wrote:I don't know how much altitude affect jetting of the 250 but at near sea level some of us have great lunck with #3 clip NEDW needle - richer needle and richer clip position. Pitot 38.
Guess you're bike runs lean...

Thanks, I think that needle may be too rich looking at that suzuki chart. I also ordered the NEDJ. I'm gonna try the NECJ again, this time with the 38 PJ. Watched a few more vids on youtube by Slavens, I think what I was perceiving as rich bog, might have actually been a lean condition off idle.
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby OscarFox » Thu May 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Just an update. I think the 38 PJ was the ticket. The off idle bog with the NECJ needle is now gone. Just tested around my neighborhood, I should have a better idea this weekend when I go riding.

Oh yea AS, is 1-3/4 turns out.
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby serialize » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:48 am

Hey guys just looking for some recommendation on the carb setup for the 2016 Race 250rr.
I think it has an FMF fatty header.

In the cool spring days it ran okay. But now that its 30+ Celsius and unbearably humid, bike is not running so well anymore.
Here is what I get. Even when fully warmed up while riding I get pinging leading me to believe it's on the lean side.
Bottom end is almost non-existent and very boggy. Mid to top is an absolute hairy power whip.

I haven't pulled the carb yet to see what is in there (this was a second hand beta I bought and don't know what previous owner has in there).
My friend that has the regular 2015 250rr gave me the recommended carb bits he is running (Suzuki NECJ and the pilot and main jets he is running but he has an FMF Gnarly pipe).

Just looking to the larger group here to see whats a good recommended starting point to get rid of the bog and bring the bike on the richer side.

Thanks for any info.
Cheers
serialize

Postby robw122 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:29 pm

serialize wrote:Hey guys just looking for some recommendation on the carb setup for the 2016 Race 250rr.

In the cool spring days it ran okay. But now that its 30+ Celsius and unbearably humid, bike is not running so well anymore.
Here is what I get. Even when fully warmed up while riding I get pinging leading me to believe it's on the lean side.
Bottom end is almost non-existent and very boggy. Mid to top is an absolute hairy power whip.

I haven't pulled the carb yet to see what is in there (this was a second hand beta I bought and don't know what previous owner has in there).
My friend that has the regular 2015 250rr gave me the recommended carb bits he is running (Suzuki NECJ and the pilot and main jets he is running but he has an FMF Gnarly pipe).

Just looking to the larger group here to see whats a good recommended starting point to get rid of the bog and bring the bike on the richer side.

Thanks for any info.
Cheers

if it ran good when it was cooler, but now it's bad with the heat, it's counterintuitive to go richer. you need to have a starting point, so get the carb open and see where you are now.
the boggy bottom could be several things, so just guessing at the jetting is a tough way to start.
the fatty pipe is more of a top end hit, so that's likely part of your big hit, checking where the powervalve is set would also help point you in the right direction.

I have a 38pilot, #3NEDJ and a 170 main in my 250 now, it's fat above 70 degrees F.
likely you could go 38, NECJ #3, 168 and be pretty happy in that kind of heat.
robw122

Postby serialize » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:17 am

robw122 wrote:
serialize wrote:Hey guys just looking for some recommendation on the carb setup for the 2016 Race 250rr.

Thanks for any info.
Cheers

if it ran good when it was cooler, but now it's bad with the heat, it's counterintuitive to go richer. you need to have a starting point, so get the carb open and see where you are now.
the boggy bottom could be several things, so just guessing at the jetting is a tough way to start.
the fatty pipe is more of a top end hit, so that's likely part of your big hit, checking where the powervalve is set would also help point you in the right direction.

I have a 38pilot, #3NEDJ and a 170 main in my 250 now, it's fat above 70 degrees F.

Thanks for the reply and info robw122.
Yes that's what I'm planning to do when I have some time is take it out and see what's in it.
For the new starting point my friend ordered me are (main 175, slow jet N42, and NECJ but clip is yet to be determined will check his to start with).
Air Screw 1 3/4

If can't get a good base starting point then might have to take it to a tuner and get it properly jetted.
Our altitude isn't that high (maybe between sea level to +3-4000).
South Eastern Ontario temps fluctuate like crazy and can go from really cold one day to 30+ on the next. Humidity is very high in the summer months. Not sure why it seemed to run better in the spring cooler and less humid days, I wouldn't say a great deal better but it seems to worsen with the increased heat and humidity.
serialize

Postby robw122 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:31 am

serialize wrote:
robw122 wrote:

Thanks for any info.
Cheers

Thanks for the reply and info robw122.
Yes that's what I'm planning to do when I have some time is take it out and see what's in it.
For the new starting point my friend ordered me are (main 175, slow jet N42, and NECJ but clip is yet to be determined will check his to start with).
Air Screw 1 3/4

If can't get a good base starting point then might have to take it to a tuner and get it properly jetted.
Our altitude isn't that high (maybe between sea level to +3-4000).
South Eastern Ontario temps fluctuate like crazy and can go from really cold one day to 30+ on the next. Humidity is very high in the summer months. Not sure why it seemed to run better in the spring cooler and less humid days, I wouldn't say a great deal better but it seems to worsen with the increased heat and humidity.

I'm just the other side of the peace bridge, we likely ride some of the same places.
I've been wrong before, but I'd be really surprised if that jetting worked. I'm changing mine this weekend to lean it out slightly.
My starting point will be 38 pilot, NECJ #3, 168 main, as a mentioned last post.
Best of luck whatever you go with.
robw122

Previous

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke