Lectron vs SmartCarb vs IMS tank!

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Re: Lectron vs SmartCarb vs IMS tank!

Postby HRRacing » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:34 am

Opinion
HRRacing

Postby GMP » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:23 pm

Why sure it is. I've had a lot of heads cut by Ron, and if I had a 250RR likely I'd do it too. For the 300RR at 1K' tops in the tech eastern trail and our races its more than enough and not needed. I can see the western guys who can ride long days at altitude needing more. I had a Smartcarb on order and cancelled after a few rides on the Beta.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Dyrtmon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:38 am

The Lectron was on the bike when I bought it last Dec. Doubt if I would have bought one as I was very happy with the Kehein that was on my KTM 300, got 3ish mpg, ran fine up to 6K feet. My Beta came stock with the 2 gal tank, the original owner got the Lectron to increase the range as I'm guessing a larger tank wasn't yet available when he bought it.
2013 300 RR
2009 KTM 300 XCW
2015 Husqvarna FE350
Dyrtmon

Postby HRRacing » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:54 am

No disrespect intended, but it appears sometimes on these type of forums that one persons bike "setup" is stated as "all that is needed" for everyone else. For me, the RB mods works excellent for my riding style and the extremely variable weather and altitude conditions. Here in the NW, I ride anywhere from 500' ASL and 45 degrees and rainy to 6500' ASL and 85 degrees and low humidity. On a stock bike, whether it's a 250 or 300, these variables can be difficult to get the bike jetted properly.
With Ron Black's head cut and carburetor modifications, it makes jetting and riding in these variables much more easier and enjoyable. It's not the "be all, end all", but in my OPINION, these modifications are worth looking into if there is a rider out there looking for an overall performance upgrade while achieving increased fuel milage.
According to Ron Black, he explained to me that all European bikes, including our beloved Betas, have a large squish band to accommodate the poor quality of European fuel. That can lead to poor fuel milage and can make jetting difficult at times. He informed me that the Beta heads he has done so far, both 250 and 300, have an average squish of .075". He cuts that down to around .035", depending on the customers needs. This in turn, with our fuel quality in the US, gets a more optimal fuel burn which leads to better fuel economy and makes jetting easier. Again, this is how Ron explained it to me. By no means am I an expert.
I do know from my experience using RB Designs in the past, that it holds true as to what Ron says. I have never used, owned, or ridden a bike with a "smart" carburetor, but I have ridden with and talked to other riders whom have used them and they have had some difficulty getting the carbs to perform correctly.
I love my Beta and think it's a superb bike. It's not perfect, but it's definitely a keeper!

...my opinion

-Rob
HRRacing

Previous

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke