air filters

Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

air filters

Postby flybars » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:01 pm

My '14 300rr came with a preoiled Twin Air air filter, and I also ordered an extra Twin Air to boot. I didn't realize att that they would be preoiled. I use No-Toil oil and cleaner and are not compatable with most oils. what do U guys use to clean the Twin Air oil with? And is there a non-preoild Twin Air filter available for our Beta 2t's? Thank in advance.
'14 300rr
flybars

Re: air filters

Postby mtdirtbag » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:37 pm

I always wash mine out with pre-mix to break down the oil and majority of the dirt - then wash several times in very hot water with dawn dish soap. There maybe better ways, but I have filters that have been around for a long time with no visable breakdown.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby Hubert Carpet » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:43 am

I also use No-toil oil and used some Putoline filter cleaner followed by some clean kerosene followed by laundry detergent to get the Twin-Air filter full clean of the original oil. I now use No-Toil with it without problems. I find the standard solvent cleaners very aggressive and they cause me painful skin irritation and blisters even with gloves.

I have been in email conversation with Scott Oakes "The No-Toil Man" about the correct replacement filter for the Twin-Air. The No-Toil filters are a finer mesh and work really well for me, especially when it is dusty. I have sent him photos of the Beta OEM and he is going to send me some samples to try. He is also coming the the UK this month for the main Dirt Bike Show so I shall see what he has to say about options. The No-Toil filter for the Beta 4T models is part #160-10 but I don't know if this is the same as fitted to the 2T models.

If you are using No-Toil oil, don't bother buying the cleaner as it is chemically the same as good old fashioned washing soda. I buy a 2 lb bag in the supermarket for £1 ($1.50), rinse the filter through and then throw it in the washing machine with my riding gear at the end of each ride. I did that for 2 years with my last KTM and the filter was still as good as new when I sold it.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Postby GMP » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm a No-Toil user for many years. Solvent disposal is such a PIA here it makes perfect sense, but it also works very well. It's important to get all traces of the petroleum base Twin Air oil out of the filter or the No Toil oil will not set up properly. I wash with gas, then Simple Green, then Oxy Clean and laundry detergent(standard No-Toil wash). Carefully remove the rubber grommet first as oil gets trapped under it. When you re-oil with No Toil for the first time use a little extra and squeeze it out to purge any traces of the Twin Air oil out. I dry my filters vertically on a fan supported by wood blocks, or individually with a hair dryer if I'm in a real hurry. Never install a filter immediately after oiling, This is where the haters go wrong. Great stuff when used right, stops the finest dust.

Rocky Mtn. has unoiled Beta Twin Air filters now.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby flybars » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks everyone and good to know rmmc has unoiled Twin Airs.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby twowheels » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:00 pm

GMP wrote:I
Rocky Mtn. has unoiled Beta Twin Air filters now.

Part number or it didn't happen :lol: :lol:
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Hubert Carpet » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Anyone who doubts the efficiency of a Not-Oil filter should hold one up to the light next to a Twin-Air. You can see light through the Twin-Air but not the No-Toil. Then blow an airline through them both to show that it doesn't effect the ability to pass air volume.
2020 200RR.
Hubert Carpet

Postby flybars » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:53 am

Are U guys using red No-Toil or the green (bio)? Been using the green lately and it is a lot thinner. Thinking of going back to the red if they still have it.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby Hubert Carpet » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:26 am

l'm on red. Not tried the green.
2020 200RR.
Hubert Carpet

Postby twowheels » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Hate the green, went back to red.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Next

Return to Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke