Intermittent Beta electric starter problem or issues?

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Re: Intermittent Beta electric starter problem or issues?

Postby BassMan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:35 pm

Check the negative terminal connetor on the battery. That has been an issue for several, rattles loose. You can chase your tail for a long time on that one.
BassMan

Postby Angustoyou » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:28 am

My starter button was letting a bit of water in where the bracket goes into the plastic. Dab of silicon sealer sorted it.
Angustoyou

Postby Mslow » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:00 am

Add me to the list. I have a 2014 and haven't had an issue for two seasons. Figured it was the battery so I replaced it. I get clicking with nothing. I can hear the relay but that's it. But once in a while it'll crank over, just not enough. This sounds like a starter clutch issue maybe?
2014 300rr
Mslow

Postby Yrocmoto » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:09 pm

Mine went on the fritz during our ride today....I have about 600 miles on my '14 250rr. Time to start digging, I guess...I also get a click under the seat when it won't fire, but after riding some whoops, it started working...then not...then working.....
Yrocmoto

Postby Jbeta300 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:33 pm

Pull the wiring harness apart at at the steer tube right where it flexes. All the ground wires are spliced together in that area, which includes the ground wire for the starter relay. That's what it was on mine, intermittently had no starter.
Jbeta300

Postby Yrocmoto » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:27 pm

BassMan wrote:Check the negative terminal connetor on the battery. That has been an issue for several, rattles loose. You can chase your tail for a long time on that one.

I had the intermittent starter issue last weekend, was driving me crazy. Got home and removed the seat and tank, clipped off all the zip ties, then noticed the negative terminal was smoking when I hit the button (and heard clicking). Tightened that up and no problems on yesterdays ride....sometimes it's an easy fix.
Yrocmoto

Postby little_wing » Tue May 03, 2016 7:19 pm

Mslow wrote:Add me to the list. I have a 2014 and haven't had an issue for two seasons. Figured it was the battery so I replaced it. I get clicking with nothing. I can hear the relay but that's it. But once in a while it'll crank over, just not enough. This sounds like a starter clutch issue maybe?

I am having the same issue ... did you ever track it down?????

I jumped the positive on the starter to the positive on the battery and the bike started right up....
then shut it down and tried using the button and it worked fine I am not sure whats going on just yet
2015 beta 250RR
little_wing

Postby katoom400 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:45 am

also if you have the oem "multi switch bank" on the bars, ditch it for separate single water proof switches, my bike would crank but not start and it turned out to be the kill switch in the multi switch.
katoom400

Postby Mikhail » Sun May 08, 2016 2:01 pm

+1. Started to have issues with my starter after 22 hrs on my brand new 2016 300 RR. It just wont work occasionally. I will check the harnesses, thanks for the tip.
Mikhail

Postby Johnny Depp » Sun May 08, 2016 4:09 pm

It doesn't appear any 4-strokes are being reported with this problem? I know mine hasn't had it. (2015 500 RS) Perhaps that helps rule out hardware?
Johnny Depp

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical & Wiring