computer battery dies in two rides

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Re: computer battery dies in two rides

Postby bryanaverill » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:17 pm

There is a connector on the starter solenoid with four ¼” tab terminals. The mating connector has three wires and one empty position. I connected to the empty tab with a mating socket and 18 awg wire routed to the front of the bike. This effectively connects to the battery through the 10A fuse (important detail IMO). Then, I mounted a switch right next to the meter with a little z-bent piece of aluminum sheet metal and attached this with one of the M4 meter mounting screws. The wire mentioned above is then connected to the center pole of the switch. The switched pole is then connected to the turn signal flasher plug which is empty on my bike. You need to select the bike power side of the flasher plug and connect with another ¼” tab terminal. No part of the bike wiring harness is modified in any way. All the bike plugs, including the meter, are connected normally. Nothing is disconnected. When the switch is ON, everything connected to this circuit is powered up. This includes the meter but not the headlight. I have left the switch ON for a week and the battery has not dropped at all. I hope that the sleep mode draw is low enough so that the switch can be eliminated. Time will tell.
P.S. – I think the sleep mode current I measured before was not “deep” sleep. Some devices go to deep sleep after prolonged inactivity and draw only micro current. I hope the Beta meter works this way.
bryanaverill

Postby Leon_RR250 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:58 am

Hi!

After my latest post here I was connecting the sensor wire for the meter only when I was driving the bike. For 5 rides it worked well and for the last two rides, after these 5 rides, I have had it always connected like with normal use and the temps have been around 0 to -3 C. So after 5 batteries and several sprayings of CRC lube to the connector, it seems that the fault (power from bike to the meter stopping during a ride) disappeared but it could come back anytime. Let's see how it goes...

Leon
Leon_RR250

Postby Survivor » Fri May 20, 2016 1:03 pm

I bought a 2016 X Trainer in October 2015.
I was getting the bike ready for a ride today but the computer was without power. BATTERY???OR ELSE???
NOT GOOD WITH OIL INJECTION...
Survivor

Postby Survivor » Mon May 23, 2016 8:28 am

Can someone tell me what is to be done to get Beta Italy to react, own to the faulty computer and correct the situation??
Could Beta USA, Beta Canada, Beta Australia etc...get together and contact Beta Italy to WAKE UP?
Or should all dealership ask for replacements?
It is ridiculous to have oil injection with so many faulty computers!
I love my Beta but faulty computer and oil injection are not good friends! Time for Beta Italy to wake up and fix the repeated problems.
Survivor

Postby Angustoyou » Mon May 23, 2016 11:46 am

Jeez, just force your dealer to sort out the bike he sold you, it's basic consumer rights, if it really bugs you.

Beta will take note of warranty claims they receive from dealers and either sort it out on future models or not bother if there are minimal claims. I'd say that with less than a dozen people having a fault on here, and the fact that these are not all the same fault that they'll keep an eye on things to see how they go. And to see if there is a recurring theme.

There was nothing wrong with my computer, rather a slightly poor connection. As i've had no other connector issues, i'll put that down to a one off, albeit one that others have had too. It would soon bump up the prices of all models if they reacted immediately to tiny numbers of problems. There will always be niggles that affect some bikes, and the Betas of all types seem to have less than other brands, they also seem to be cheaper, more minor issues than other brands suffer.

Frustrating none the less. Good luck with it.
Angustoyou

Postby bryanaverill » Mon May 23, 2016 3:23 pm

Not a poor connection in my case. I tried everything everybody recommended including my dealer. There is nothing to fix it except to modify the bike wiring. My experience only. Your results will vary.

In my humble opinion, this is worth a recall. The meters should have the watch battery power management firmware changed to eliminate the issue. Again, my humble opinion only.

I fixed mine as described above. It's been working perfectly for many rides.
bryanaverill

Postby Angustoyou » Tue May 24, 2016 1:16 pm

I think that's part or the problem, there's only a few having problems, and it seems to be different causes for each one. Mine ran internal batteries flat, but not from new, and rechecking the connectors and some minor re routing has sorted it, for now at least. Not so much fixed as just working properly again. Had problems for one month out of 7 and counting.
Angustoyou

Postby westsurfmark » Wed May 25, 2016 12:10 am

one thing i found that if you regularly jet wash your bike ( pretty much most of us after every ride ) the rubber seal on the dash is not that great and lets water in . my battery died within a few rides and when i took it out the second time i noticed water inside and a stain on the battery where it had got wet and dried out . once it gets water in it interferes with the power getting to the unit obviously . i dried it out and squirted wd40 in there and put a bigger rubber seal / o ring on there and on a battery that was reading as flat before , worked straight away and has been going now for 4 months with no issues .

give it a try and try not to squirt around that area when cleaning if you can . or put a bag over it when jet washing and clean the dash by hand
westsurfmark

Postby wwguy » Wed May 25, 2016 10:10 am

westsurfmark wrote:one thing i found that if you regularly jet wash your bike ( pretty much most of us after every ride ) the rubber seal on the dash is not that great and lets water in .

The LCD display on my new 2016 Xtrainer flooded the first time I washed the bike with a low pressure garden hose. Very disappointing, especially considering that these units are made for Beta by Trail Tech, a supposed leader in the industry. My dealer is covering mine under warranty but it's backordered for several weeks... likely due to the demand created by issues similar to those reported in this thread.
wwguy

Postby Survivor » Wed May 25, 2016 3:36 pm

wwguy wrote:
westsurfmark wrote:one thing i found that if you regularly jet wash your bike ( pretty much most of us after every ride ) the rubber seal on the dash is not that great and lets water in .

The LCD display on my new 2016 Xtrainer flooded the first time I washed the bike with a low pressure garden hose. Very disappointing, especially considering that these units are made for Beta by Trail Tech, a supposed leader in the industry. My dealer is covering mine under warranty but it's backordered for several weeks... likely due to the demand created by issues similar to those reported in this thread.

IMO, there is a lot more case of "computer power problem" than some people on this site thinks.
As I posted earlier, my friend and I both bought a brand new 2016 X Trainer and both computer are dead/no power/low battery within a few months. The dealer also said there were many cases for the 2016 brought to him.
I honestly think that Beta in Italy are to adress the issues on their bikes including the computer problems. It is an outstanding bike overall but that does not mean for Beta Italy not to fix the known problems or at least inspect it thoroughly and correct when necessary.
Beta being one of the best does not mean to slack off or say""people will fix it, we have a good bike anyway".
If you are very good in mechanic, it is half bad as you can fix it but everybody is not and if you are not mechanically inclined, it becomes a handicap to fix all the small but still existing known issues. Personally, I would rather pay a little more and have it more reliable for these known issues.
Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical & Wiring