Help with 390RR turn signal installation

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Help with 390RR turn signal installation

Postby Beta Jockey » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi, new 390RR owner here.

So I bought this turn signal kit for my bike: http://www.motosupply.com/beta-beta-sic ... p-517.html

Underneath the rear fender I found 4 wired plugs that apparently get plugged into the two rear turn signals. The colors of the 4 wired plugs are purple, green, black, black. I assume for one of the turn signals, red gets connected to purple and black to black; and for the second turn signal, red goes to green, and again black to black. This is how I connected them. There was a fifth wired plug underneath the fender which I assumed could be used to connect the LED flasher that came with the above kit as the ends for each were a match. More on that later.

Beneath the headlight shroud, there were the same 4 wired plugs with the same colors: purple, green, black, black. I connected the front turn signals the same as the rear. In addition to these 4 wires, there was a 5th L-shape wired plug.

Not knowing how to connect the LED flasher that came with the turn signal kit, or even whether to plug it in the rear wired plug or the front one, I just left it out for now. When I started the bike and tried to operate the turn signals, nothing at all happened. I would think even without the LED flasher connected the turn signals should have at least flashed, even if rapidly, no?

I disconnected the rear turn signal wires and tested them by touching the connections to the red/black terminals on the battery. Both turn signals came on so it's not the turn signals themselves that are the issue.

Anyone ever wire up a 4-stroke RR with turn signals? I'm at a loss here.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Beta Jockey

Re: Help with 390RR turn signal installation

Postby bikesparky » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:24 am

On my bike the plug for the flash relay was hidden under the right hand side cover.
Take the seat off and undo the screw you need to cut a small cable tie to free it.
The relay fits on the free tab in front of the battery.
Fit the relay and turn signals to right and plug the correct ones in front and back, repeat for the other side. Done.
It took me a few minutes to find the darn plug too :)
bikesparky

Postby kirv » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:06 am

bikesparky wrote:On my bike the plug for the flash relay was hidden under the right hand side cover.
Take the seat off and undo the screw you need to cut a small cable tie to free it.
The relay fits on the free tab in front of the battery.
Fit the relay and turn signals to right and plug the correct ones in front and back, repeat for the other side. Done.
It took me a few minutes to find the darn plug too :)

I have a RR race, and the sicass racing blinker kit. the notes say the plug for the flasher is under the right side cover, but i can't find it! i found a plug after i took the gas tank off, but if i plug the flasher into it, the fuse blows. where is the screw and cable tie that are holding down the flasher plug?
kirv

Postby Vspec » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:42 am

Flash relay plug is behind the headlight, takes regular either LED friendly or not automotive style 2 prong relay.
Vspec

Postby Beta Jockey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:02 pm

Thanks guys for the replies.

I figured it out. Just like Vspec said and as I said in my original post, the relay plug was behind the headlight. The Sicass lighting kit doesn't include the correct relay so I returned it and bought the proper L-shaped one online. Plugged it in and, Bam! Everything works as it should.
Beta Jockey

Return to Electrical & Wiring