2019 300 RR intermittently pumps too much oil at low rpm

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

2019 300 RR intermittently pumps too much oil at low rpm

Postby Caravan Monster » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:11 am

I'm working on a Euro 2019 300 RR that has started to intermittently pump too much oil into the manifold at low rpm. I've put about 20 of those hours on the bike, in which time it has run very well, with perfect jetting, up until this point. The bike is well looked after, but has 130 hours and the previous owner modded the electrical system with a higher output lighting generator and dc led lights. The orange bottom right ECU (?) speedo warning light has always been on with the bike running, which tbh I ignored because the bike was running great, assuming it to be a result of the modified loom. I did notice the ECU is a 13 - 18 (red potting) part, is it common to find these on 2019 models?

I can work out the lights, speedo and ignition myself, but am not familiar with the oil pump electrics. I basically understand how the oil pump works from this page:

https://www.dirtriderz.com/topic/15664-beta-2t-oil-injection-troubleshooting

My question to the forum concerns the diode group, which appears to be entirely absent from my loom. The plug was sealed up, so I am confident it hasn't fallen off. Would the oil pump have been able to operate without the diode group? Or any other comments as to the cause of the intermittent oil pump problem? My understanding is that the condensor and diode group work together to send a level and consistent power supply to the pump, controlled by the signal from the ECU. I'm reasonably confident nothing has burnt out, so hopefully should be able to fix it without needing too many parts.
Caravan Monster

Re: 2019 300 RR intermittently pumps too much oil at low rpm

Postby wwguy » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:47 am

This Oil Injection Troubleshooting Guide from Beta might help. (2019 design is the same as discussed in this guide.)
wwguy

Postby wwguy » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:10 am

Just curious though ... how do you know what "pumping too much oil" is vs. too little or just right or maybe the problem is something else? Serious question. How will you know you've fully resolved the issue, and whether the fix will stick and operate as expected when it matters most?

I ask because I've determined that the answers to those questions are pretty much unknowable, at least for dealers and riders like us anyway. Beta has never shared the OI design specs, nor offered a means to verify and/or calibrate actual oil flow vs. target. There's also no reliable means to add or remove oil from the fuel mix to meet personal preference, specific use case scenarios (like racing vs green-laning), or using different brands of oil with unique characteristics.

Disabling the OI system in favor of time-proven premix is a common and factory-supported modification that addresses and eliminates all of those issues.

Regarding the warning light being constantly on: I suggest you not operate the bike until you sort this out. That warning light is the ECU telling you that something is preventing some aspect of proper OI operation. Example causes include system voltage out of expected range, TPS disconnected, TPS values out of expected min/max range, or the oil pump is disconnected or shorted etc. The system isn't smart enough to detect and communicate the specific cause, but it knows that something isn't working as expected.

Just my two cents... or pence or whatever, lol.
wwguy

Postby Caravan Monster » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:36 pm

The bike was smoking, spooging and cutting out when it normally runs clean as a whistle. I've been through the electrics and am now know that my initial diagnosis was wrong and the the answer was simpler in that the pilot jet was partially blocked causing the poor low end running. I suppose the pump was sending through the normal amount of oil, but the carb not enough fuel causing the smoke.

Anyway, the bike now runs fine, but has now developed a mystery engine screech :D It's overdue a piston and rings anyway, so hopefully will get left alone for long enough tomorrow to get the engine on the bench and have the barrel off. Having taken the clutch plates and chain off, the counter and output shafts are turning freely, smoothly and quietly, so with some luck fixing it won't require splitting the cases. Water pump and power valve are #1 suspects, probably not the crank because it was running well enough.

Not too worried about the ECU light because the loom and generator are not standard and it does seem to go out after a few minutes riding, if something was badly wrong problems would have showed up long ago.

Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting instalment.......
Caravan Monster

Return to Electrical & Wiring