Hello Italian gremlins

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Re: Hello Italian gremlins

Postby GMP » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:28 pm

I used the small individual filters down close to the carb. Upper hoses routed from under tank rear along sub frame top and down into holes that go behind side panel (right) and back of airbox (left). The left side hole was used for the 8mm side panel tool. The lower hoses cut and tucked into link skid. I won't ride a bike without this mod, after having a KTM 300 throttle stick from a jammed needle.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby ks9mm » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Went through the bike today.. Basically took everything apart and put dielectric grease on all electrical connections and stuffed open back ends of connectors with grease as well. Did all switches and ground bolts. Horn is back on the bike..what can I system, I like it. Will see how it will perform. Also adjusted float height just a bit.
2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)
Husky WR300 (sold)
Husky TE510 supermoto sold
ks9mm

Postby ks9mm » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:05 pm

So I got the bike properly wet and dirty today again. Had awesome time.

Back home, washing the bike, horn came on by itself(me not pressing button) does this mean I have moisture problem in the handlebar switch ? Anything else can cause it?
Can switch be taken apart and stuffed with grease?
2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)
Husky WR300 (sold)
ks9mm

Postby CAJW » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:55 am

I read in another thread about relocating the horn up by the headlight to keep it from being pushed into the RH radiator in a tip over. Being a visual kind of guy, I took a few pics of the 8 minute operation to move this potential rad killer up next to the headlight to keep it from doing damage and hopefully the angled mounting position will improve water draining out a bit better. I bent the mounting tab to about a 45 degree angle to mount to the RH Turn Signal bolt and also bent back the connectors so the wire terminals went on straight. No re-wiring was necessary and seems to fit just fine. All that is left to do is to waterproof the connections and it's ready for mud...

2014 520RS
CAJW

Postby ks9mm » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:21 pm

thanks!! I actually do not think horn is a problem for causing my electical issue...

I rigged it to temp power source and dunked it in a bucket of water and it worked fine even fully submerged...under water.. submarine horn :D

but when rigged to bike's electrical and bike gets wet it starts acting up. next thing to look at is the handlebar switch assembly.. to check if water gets in there and shorts things out..
2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)
Husky WR300 (sold)
ks9mm

Postby GMP » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:36 pm

As we discussed, isolate the kill switch lead in the switch block from the CDI. CDI operates the coil primary at a higher voltage than you think and is enough to cause leakage current and feel as a shock if there is moisture in the switch block. You will never be able to fully waterproof the switchblock. If you must keep all that stuff just install a better waterproof kill button. The rest is a completely different circuit.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby ks9mm » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:13 pm

GMP wrote:As we discussed, isolate the kill switch lead in the switch block from the CDI. CDI operates the coil primary at a higher voltage than you think and is enough to cause leakage current and feel as a shock if there is moisture in the switch block. You will never be able to fully waterproof the switchblock. If you must keep all that stuff just install a better waterproof kill button. The rest is a completely different circuit.

yep. as we discussed. I ordered KTM kill switch. i just decided to do little experiment and test out how really waterproof horn is....

I can assure everyone now that horn is completely sealed and will survive complete submersion in water :D
2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)
Husky WR300 (sold)
ks9mm

Postby Hoosier-Daddy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:18 pm

How are you guys "waterproofing" the electrical connections? disconnecting, applying dielectric grease, re-connecting, and applying grease on the outside or back side of the connections too.?
Hoosier-Daddy

Postby Angustoyou » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:43 am

I didn't disconnect, just filled the ends. The flexable insulators seem to do a good job. Sealed the kill switch up with silicon sealant. No issues.
Angustoyou

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:33 pm

I put silicone seal on the connectors at the horn.. The issue where Beta blowing a fuse that kills the estart usually gets fixed there too. Lots of times on Beta I'd fall on the right side of my bike where my horn is and the circuit would ground out and the fuse would blow.. it's just that the estart wouldn't work then.. when you take off the seat there's an extra fuse right next to the one in the circuit so it's no big deal to change in the trail... but relocating or just taking off the horn or sealing with silicone prevents blown fuses. This happens with ktm's too. I've heard it happen with ktm 300's on threads before.After I put silicone on the connectors to the horn I've not had a blown fuse for the estart. This has happened on my 525 RS beta.. just a time or 2 and then never again.. again with the silicone on the horn connections. It's a minor foofoo thing. I have gone through a few horns as it is. I just keep crashing into trees and whatever and the horn gets bashed.. i have been meaning to relocat but it's just there for now.. I like the horn.. when it's working but it really isn't important. We go through river crossing almost every time we ride.. and we ride through rain storms and I have never seen any beta have problems. I'm sure some may but I put it in the category of all dirt bikes. I don't think there is anything special to do as far as waterproofing.. the dialectic grease..and just check how the wires are aligned. You can go through the wiring to be careful if you want.. but I haven't and I charge all kinds of wet and mud..
hawaiidirtrider

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical & Wiring