2016 300 race starter problem

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

2016 300 race starter problem

Postby greybeard2009 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:04 pm

while riding I noticed the bike having issues starting with push button, kicked just fine. I suspected low battery, charged it still no start, some clicking, sometimes turned motor over. Pulled relay up to get access to contacts, jumped contacts and still not always turning over. Pulled spark plug out and motor spins freely, this was with a charger hooked to battery to provide solid 12V. re-install plug, not enough torque from starter to turn motor over.
Tried jumping directly to terminal on the starter, still no turn.Bike has 40 hrs on it.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
greybeard2009

Re: 2016 300 race starter problem

Postby JoeMaico » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:38 am

A 2016 RE with 40 hours? Seems rather low. I have a lot more hours on my 2016 RE and it is one of several in rotation. Regardless, start with cleaning all of the contacts, including the switch, of corrosion. Beta's are not sealed very well. My switch kept failing and I eventually replaced it with one from Siccass racing (the also make a great headlight switch replacement). After you have done that, the next step is the starter itself. I find it hard to believe a starter with only 40 hours on it would go bad. But, if the bike has been sitting in a shed for years with moisture in the starter, then it could have suffered catastrophic corrosion. I have heard tales of the glue separating on the magnets which will cause it to not spin. But if it spins, but does not engage, that implies the Bendix is not throwing out to mesh with the flywheel. In either of these two cases, you need to pull the motor and remove the starter for inspection. Let us know what you find.

joe
JoeMaico

Postby pscook » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:25 am

This sounds like a bad battery. How many hours/years on the battery? If it is lead acid or AGM it will wear out and resist full charge. If it's Lithium or other smart battery, put it on a smart battery charger and let it cycle through.

I think it's the battery as it reads like the starter works fine with the charger hooked up (lots of voltage and amps), but without the boost it won't spin under load.

Fully charge the battery overnight, then disconnect the charger. Hook up a voltmeter and watch the voltage as you try to start the bike. Float voltage (no load) should be 12.4V or more, and it shouldn't drop below 11V when you try to start it. I suspect that you will see 8-10V at the battery when you try to start it without boost.

If you don't have a voltmeter, buy one. You own a 2016 Beta, and you need to be able to sort out the wiring issues.
pscook

Postby fenderworks » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:13 pm

i agree with PSCOOK
fenderworks
fenderworks

Return to Electrical & Wiring