21 Beta 200 RE, Engine light stays on?

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

21 Beta 200 RE, Engine light stays on?

Postby BBQ Ribs » Sat May 06, 2023 7:31 pm

Newly acquired 21 Beta 200 about 4 hours on the bike.
This is my 2nd ride on the bike, Engine light come on and computer reads "CHECK"
Bike does not have the oil mixture pump, runs fine and I did not notice any issues.
Unless I missed it, the manual is very vague and only says contact Service Rep.
Is there a list of items that the Engine Management checks?
Is there something specific I should check first before taking it all apart?
BBQ Ribs

Re: 21 Beta 200 RE, Engine light stays on?

Postby F5 Dave » Mon May 08, 2023 12:35 am

Wel, I did a search for you out of interest. https://www.scegliauto.com/en/video/beta/moto_tutorial/61515/
21 XTrainer
F5 Dave

Postby JoeMaico » Mon May 08, 2023 6:33 am

I am sure that trick would work for disabling the light. However, Race Editions never came with an oil pump, and as far as I know the the TPS also has no effect on a RE. So, I would ask the Dealer first. I would have thought all RE's would come with some dongle or other method to disable the ECU from ever looking for those non-functional components from the factory. I have an older RE edition and never have had a light come on.

joe
JoeMaico

Postby BBQ Ribs » Mon May 08, 2023 4:41 pm

Bike did not come with a oil pump, but does have the TPS.
3 Seasons video indicates the engine warning light is only for the pump and TPS
It does seem weird that it would be shipped this way.
Before I start disconnecting things, YES probably a good idea to call the dealer
BBQ Ribs

Postby BBQ Ribs » Wed May 10, 2023 1:00 pm

Heres what I found out from dealer
The race editions have a resistor that plugs into the Oil pump plug to defeat the MIL light, when no pump is present.
If the light comes on and the TPS is plugged in, the cause of the light could be a TPS out of adjustment, bad resistor plug, harness issue, or speedo issue. Thats about it.
If find a cheap used Oil tank I might fix the current issue and try the OI. I did a search for a used OI tank but didn't see any,
which I found odd as it seems a lot of folks are removing them but at this point probably just going to disconnect TPS and unplug the wire.
BBQ Ribs

Postby JoeMaico » Fri May 12, 2023 7:25 am

Not sure why you would want to add an oil tank. The beauty of the RE model is in their simplicity. Assuming the dongle (installed resistor) disabling the MIL light for the OI is working, figure out why the TPS is throwing a code. Without OI, the TPS has no value on a carbureted two stroke. I would have thought the factory would have covered that aspect as well with a dongle or something else. Maybe it is the same dongle that handles both. Not sure what a new one would cost. But it is only a resistor. So, somewhere you should find the published resistance and you can check it easy enough. As for TPS adjustment, you can find the closed voltage in the service manual and set it it fairly easy - if that is what is causing the issue.

joe
JoeMaico

Postby F5 Dave » Fri May 19, 2023 2:14 am

Well. . . Not entirely so Joe. (I just wanted to say that in a sentence).

I'm stretching it here but as a thought experiment; a bike with less load, say not fully open could afford to throw more advance. If it had a solenoid power jet it could decide to modulate opening based on both throttle and revs.

I've used RGV250 carbs on race bikes before (Google it) and the VJ22 RGV have a TPS that opens air bleed to aid emmisions. I'm going to add one to my Hybrid RZ350/500 to make a 3D map for advance vs revs vs throttle position.

But yeah, the Beta application seems pretty simple, so as you were.
21 XTrainer
F5 Dave

Return to Electrical & Wiring