heated grips

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Re: heated grips

Postby GMP » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Sounds a lot like the marketing of the high end electric ski gloves I just bought my wife for Xmas(no she doesn't look at these forums). Well, if your going to do heated grips they look like the top dog. One key issue though, they are a DC system. The bulk of the Beta's stator output is on the AC side. The DC for charging the battery is from a different winding with a much lower output. You have two choices:

1) convert the entire system to full DC, requires stator mod (float ground) and a higher capacity rect/regulator.

2) build a secondary DC system on the AC side. Additional rect/regulator, and filter capacitor. This MUST REMAIN ISOLATED from everything else including ground. I may do a similar system for an LED light bar.

If your planning to dual sport where you may want DC for other apps like GPS then option #1 is the better plan.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby mcnut » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:26 am

You guys must have serious circulation problems to want to spend that kind of $ on grips. Luckily I don't. Despite my advanced age (55) and the fact I ride all winter, I've never had the desire to install heated grips. My ambient temperature threshold is 20 degree F. If it's colder than that, I usually don't ride. My hands can get cold at first, but a few minutes sitting with them on my radiators and I'm good for the duration. When they do get cold, it's only my fingertips from contacting those frigid aluminum levers. Heated grips won't help that but friction tape does.
mcnut

Postby mtdirtbag » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:33 am

mcnut wrote:You guys must have serious circulation problems to want to spend that kind of $ on grips. Luckily I don't. Despite my advanced age (55) and the fact I ride all winter, I've never had the desire to install heated grips. My ambient temperature threshold is 20 degree F. If it's colder than that, I usually don't ride. My hands can get cold at first, but a few minutes sitting with them on my radiators and I'm good for the duration. When they do get cold, it's only my fingertips from contacting those frigid aluminum levers. Heated grips won't help that but friction tape does.

Consider yourself fortunate! I have pretty good circulation NOW, but having had a quadruple bypass 12 yrs ago on 12/2 at age 60 I still need a way to keep my hands warm. It helps to keep your core warm which if not it will cut down flow to the extremities to protect your vitals but some of us still need a way to keep those digits a little warmer. Heavier gloves don't help as it creates arm pump for me, one of the things I did with my YZ was to use the rubberized Handy Andy yellow fuzzy gloves. It's surprising how much they will help and since I've only found them in XL your hands have a lot of room to promote circulation; that and elephant ears help greatly.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby GMP » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:13 am

My wife has Raynauds and can't even handle frozen food. We will be moving south eventually because winters are torture even though she likes winter sports. For skiing the best electric heated gloves are a must. Everyone has different needs.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby mcnut » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:23 pm

mtdirtbag wrote:
mcnut wrote:You guys must have serious circulation problems to want to spend that kind of $ on grips. Luckily I don't. Despite my advanced age (55) and the fact I ride all winter, I've never had the desire to install heated grips. My ambient temperature threshold is 20 degree F. If it's colder than that, I usually don't ride. My hands can get cold at first, but a few minutes sitting with them on my radiators and I'm good for the duration. When they do get cold, it's only my fingertips from contacting those frigid aluminum levers. Heated grips won't help that but friction tape does.

Consider yourself fortunate!...Heavier gloves don't help as it creates arm pump for me....

Believe me, I do! I found that the MSR winter gloves I use when it's down there close to my comfort threshold temp aren't too bad (fat feeling). I use regular riding gloves most the time.
mcnut

Postby GMP » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:44 pm

Seems like those big "elephant ear" (for lack of a better description) handguard covers, or better yet that thing that looks like a tube your arms go in would work well. I'll go out early spring, below freezing, and with regular EE handguard spoilers the heavier(not winter) MSR riding gloves are fine.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Previous

Return to Electrical & Wiring