no spark

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

no spark

Postby rdbandkab » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi all..
Recently purchased a used 2014 300rr. The PO removed the switch gear for indicators, horn, hi beams. I've been riding the bike for a month or so, and no gremlins have reared their heads....until today.
Anyway....forward to this afternoon. While riding along today, the engine just shut off.
First things first:
Checked for fuel - good.
Checked for short in kill switch. We disconnected it, but wondered if we should have tried jumping the 2 wires from the harness.
Changed plug - good
Checked for any ground connections and tightened anything we could find.
Checked spark plug wire at cap - good
Checked connections of the coil to the frame- all tight.
Still no spark!
Anyone have any cdi or coil issues???? I tried using the search, but didn't come up with any leads.

Thanks!
richy
rdbandkab

Re: no spark

Postby GMP » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Check that the CDI is still retained by the strap and not flopping around in the airbox. Easy to break a conductor and have the insulation remain intact with repetitive movement. Check the coil HV wire where it threads into the coil. All these Euro bikes use the same Kokusan components and I have had coil wires come loose on GGs. Double check the coil primary connections. Sloppy mess under the tank there. Once past the basics move on to the stator test values in the manual. Good luck.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby rdbandkab » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks! Will check.
rdbandkab

Postby rdbandkab » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:08 pm

update.

Pulled the CDI box out and found that the harness had been rubbing on a sharp edge of plastic. One wire was completely cut thru, another hanging on by 2 copper strands, and a third with the housing rubbed thru to the wire. Now I just have to see if I can pull the connector apart and solder the wires back on.
I've pulled the 1st piece of plastic cover (exposing the wires and posts they're attached to..... Now to do some research on this connector...

Thanks again!

richy

Connector looks like this.
rdbandkab

Postby ricoyam » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:30 am

You should be able to find the "sockets" at your local dealer or auto parts store. K&L Supply sells those.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby rdbandkab » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:11 am

Found the online shop manual on the beta site. Looks like that connector is part of a pigtail. (part # 026 400070 000) Cool.
rdbandkab

Return to Electrical & Wiring