computer battery dies in two rides

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Re: computer battery dies in two rides

Postby Angustoyou » Thu May 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Fair points. ;)

I'd rather deal with a few minor niggles and have the bike now, as opposed to waiting another year or two for them to iron out the little frustrations and bring it to market perfect. It's exactly the bike for me, and came along at the perfect time. Well, nearly. I didn't think I'd be buying new! Fixing the air box and computer hasn't detracted from that, and most importantly, nothing has stopped me riding it. :D

We're not talking about massive numbers of bikes sold so far, and there were changes made for 2016, despite not being able to build the 2015 quick enough to match demand. I waited 3 months to get mine, I think I would have bought something less suitable for me if I was faced with 6 months or more to wait because they stopped production at the first or second notification of a minor issue. :x

Given the choice of the bike with a dodgy computer/connectors, an airbox that allows mud and water in and is tricky to check the air filter seating on arriving in 3 months for £5400, or wait 9-12 months and pay £6k, I wouldn't even have considered it! If Beta are to thrive, they need to build solid dependable bikes, and get riders on them. Stopping production because of minor issues would kill the brand image and cripple the cash flow.

I do totally agree that the dealer's need to step up and offer great customer care, while pressing the factory to support them by backing thm up and integrating changes based on consumer feedback. That's exactly what I've experienced with Steve Plain and Martin Lampkin in the UK. Maybe your dealers letting you down by not sorting your bike out and not feeding back well from Beta themselves?? Dunno.

What is it they say? Buy the mkIII version, it's always the best!
Angustoyou

Postby Bandicoot » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:57 pm

Any further developments on this issue ????
Any ongoing reports on the fixes people have used as the "Work Around" solutions to this.
Have the same issue with the Battery dying after so many rides, its not hard to continue changing the Internal Battery but it doesnt solve the issue at all.
Any feedback would be appreciated ....
Darren ..
If your not ridin' ... Your dyin' .. !!!
Keep on Roostin'
Bandicoot

Postby mtdirtbag » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:43 am

Rode with a 2016 XT owner this last Saturday, he indicated that Beta was replacing his odometer. Not sure of the details but he did say Beta knows of the problem and is stepping up to the plate.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby Marylander » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:40 am

mtdirtbag wrote:Rode with a 2016 XT owner this last Saturday, he indicated that Beta was replacing his odometer. Not sure of the details but he did say Beta knows of the problem and is stepping up to the plate.

Good, I sent an email to Beta USA a couple days ago asking if I can swap mine with them directly. I've been through several batteries and they are dying even with the bike sitting in the garage. The last one lasted less than a week. The display also fills with condensation if it rains.
Marylander

Postby bryanaverill » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:20 am

As I mentioned before, I connected the bike 12v circuit to the 12v battery and it works just fine. In stock trim, the bike is never connected to the 12v battery, it gets power from the alternator only when the bike is running. I have a switch in the added circuit but I've found that I always leave it on and the 12v battery does not die.

I have designed several devices like this as part of my professional work. I suspect: a) the backlight drains the watch battery quickly when the bike is moved around the garage or being loaded, b) there is high variation in the circuit that determines the watch battery voltage and it incorrectly sets the "LO" warning at a voltage that is too high, c) the basic MCU programmed "LO" voltage set-point is too high, d) the sleep-mode current draw is higher than other similar bike meters. This is all speculation because I don't have time to do a root cause analysis. It's based on my anecdotal experience and reading this thread.

My work around has been reliable. I haven't had a "LO" condition since I implemented it.
bryanaverill

Postby Bandicoot » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:44 pm

bryanaverill wrote:As I mentioned before, I connected the bike 12v circuit to the 12v battery and it works just fine. In stock trim, the bike is never connected to the 12v battery, it gets power from the alternator only when the bike is running. I have a switch in the added circuit but I've found that I always leave it on and the 12v battery does not die.

I have designed several devices like this as part of my professional work. I suspect: a) the backlight drains the watch battery quickly when the bike is moved around the garage or being loaded, b) there is high variation in the circuit that determines the watch battery voltage and it incorrectly sets the "LO" warning at a voltage that is too high, c) the basic MCU programmed "LO" voltage set-point is too high, d) the sleep-mode current draw is higher than other similar bike meters. This is all speculation because I don't have time to do a root cause analysis. It's based on my anecdotal experience and reading this thread.

My work around has been reliable. I haven't had a "LO" condition since I implemented it.

This is what I was looking to hear, your work around has solved the issue you were having ...
I'll have to go back through the thread and look up exactly what you have done and implement the same setup.
Darren ..
If your not ridin' ... Your dyin' .. !!!
Keep on Roostin'
Bandicoot

Postby bikesparky » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:59 am

Funny thing is that the dash looks very much the same as on the KTM- Husky models and on my FE501 I never had any issues like that.
From the looks alone I'm pretty sure it comes from the same manufacturer.
I'll know more on Saturday when the 300RR finally arrives in the garage.
bikesparky

Postby garrett » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:23 am

I have had the same issues with the speedo on my '16 300. The dealer replaced the first unit which lasted 29 hours but took out 3 batteries. The latest speedo lasted about 3 hours till the "Lo" light came on and now its completely dead. I'm going to replace the battery (again) and install a little foam pad in the battery compartment, clean the connectors and will check the power wire from the stator to make sure it's getting juice while the bike runs. Can someone confirm which wire is the hot wire that powers the speedo. Wiring diagrams look like Egyptian hieroglyphics to me... :lol:

Garrett
garrett

Postby chrisinflight » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:57 pm

Any updates? Going through batteries and have a flickering computer back-light with engine running. Tail-light is also flickering.
chrisinflight

Postby Marylander » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:03 am

chrisinflight wrote:Any updates? Going through batteries and have a flickering computer back-light with engine running. Tail-light is also flickering.

The flickering taillight is likely unrelated and nothing to worry about, just the nature of the beast. My computer has been fine since it was replaced under warranty.
Marylander

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical & Wiring