Fuel pump not priming?

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Re: Fuel pump not priming?

Postby ricoyam » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:19 pm

I went to the parts listings to confirm it had a tip sensor before I suggested it. As far as I know all vehicles with electronic fuel injection have some sort of shut-off for in case of an accident. If there should be a fire, the last thing you need is 30+ pounds of fuel pressure spraying petrol everywhere. The main indicator that there was a tip sensor was the owners manual saying the bike will shut-off after five seconds in a fall.
Injection systems usually use a crank sensor or oil pressure sensor to determine if the engine is running and energize the fuel pump.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby bikesparky » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:54 am

Cruiser wrote:Found the lean sensor, mounted up just above battery. I checked the connection to this and popped the headlight off and tested again and now seams to be working. Tap the start to just hear the starter click and fuel pump runs and pressures up. I tapped on the lean, tip sensor and could not get it to not fire up. So right now it's working. I'd like to know what it is exactly.

The lean sensor comes apart. The board is solid state but the pendulum can be checked if it rotates properly.
You pull it to bits by removing the plastic connector holder. The pendulum is hold in place by 2 forks with a half round at the end.
Pendulum has a magnet on it and there is a hall effect sensor on the board and a some surface mounted resistor.

Easy to pull apart, just be careful. Easy to assemble again too. There is a arrow on it with UP to make sure its in the correct position.
bikesparky

Postby GMP » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:40 am

So if I'm correct in thinking there are two modes of operation for this sensor (upright/normal and fallen/failure) why would the pump run the bike at all if it was in the failure mode? Sounds strange to me. You would think the state of the safety component in the system would be given a highest priority in the control algorithm.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:00 am

GMP wrote:So if I'm correct in thinking there are two modes of operation for this sensor (upright/normal and fallen/failure) why would the pump run the bike at all if it was in the failure mode? Sounds strange to me. You would think the state of the safety component in the system would be given a highest priority in the control algorithm.

You've got to allow the bike to run when it's leaned over - like when I'm scrubbing the crap out of a triple or dragging the bar end through a berm :lol:

The 5 second time out is what happened to me at the 24 NE race this summer - glad I had my helmet light on or I'd still be in the woods. :oops:
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:36 am

twowheels wrote:
GMP wrote:So if I'm correct in thinking there are two modes of operation for this sensor (upright/normal and fallen/failure) why would the pump run the bike at all if it was in the failure mode? Sounds strange to me. You would think the state of the safety component in the system would be given a highest priority in the control algorithm.

You've got to allow the bike to run when it's leaned over - like when I'm scrubbing the crap out of a triple or dragging the bar end through a berm :lol:

The 5 second time out is what happened to me at the 24 NE race this summer - glad I had my helmet light on or I'd still be in the woods. :oops:

Why I ride the 2stroke, sometimes takes me 6 seconds. :lol: :lol:

In the context of Steve's (Cruiser) problem it just doesn't make sense and seems like something else is going on as well.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Cruiser » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:15 pm

I bolting the lean sensor and running the bike, then tilting the sensor should be a good way to test if it's working? Every time I go into the harness to check what's going on it starts working normal. Has to be a loose pin in a connector.
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Postby bikesparky » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Cruiser wrote:I bolting the lean sensor and running the bike, then tilting the sensor should be a good way to test if it's working? Every time I go into the harness to check what's going on it starts working normal. Has to be a loose pin in a connector.

Yep, check everything. I done one like this and every time I looked at it, it worked fine. Every time the owner rode it, it crapped out.
Hard to find a fault if all works well....
Clean and check every connector. Also start it and wiggle the wiring harness, if you're lucky it might stall when you hit the faulty spot.
bikesparky

Postby Cruiser » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:05 pm

So, running, unbolted tilt sensor and unit shuts off about 4 seconds, tilted to each side forward, and upside down. All same results. Seamed good. Bolted back up,, then.. Tapped sensor with the handle of the screwdriver and shut down. Try cranking and cranks and cranks then tap the sensor and then fires right up. Maybe a loose connection on the circuit board or in the switch itself.
Cruiser
16 350RR
Cruiser

Postby Cruiser » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:07 pm

I want to add.. Tap not hit..
Cruiser
16 350RR
Cruiser

Postby GMP » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 pm

Too bad you weren't a bit closer I'd be looking at that. How many wires in the connector and is it waterproof?

I don't remember Craig's Husky TXC having one, but that was not sold as a compliant bike like the TE.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical & Wiring