Starter motor removal 300rr

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Starter motor removal 300rr

Postby thecat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:37 pm

Guys

Just to let you know, it is possible to remove the starter without removing the engine.
You need to remove all the mounting bolts, and the exhaust, fuel tank, bash plate etc. I used a ratchet strap and a pair of wooden wedges and made enough clearance to wiggle out the starter. Disconnect the brake lever spring also or you will stretch it, as you need to raise the engine about an inch.
I installed new brushes and bearing/ seal. The brushes were about half worn at 200 hours. And i use the starter alot.

Cheers
Phil
thecat

Re: Starter motor removal 300rr

Postby dibbs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:47 am

Good to know that for the future Phil. I'm only on 50 hrs so hopefully wont need doing for a while! but didn't fancy taking out the engine for this job if required. Although how good is that starter motor 200hrs!!! incredible, stuff only KTM can dream of hahahaha :lol:
dibbs

Postby BassMan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:09 am

My starter has well over 250 hours and fires right up.
BassMan

Postby Keegan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:47 pm

I had to do some maintenance on my starter motor this week, with my bike having 300 hours on it.

To remove the starter motor, the engine does not need to be completely removed - but almost does though.

We did the following:
- Removed the tank.
- Removed the exhaust, both header and silencer.
- Lifted up the subframe by removing the bottom two screws, loosening the top two screws and the air boot hose clamp.
- Took off the chain from the rear sprocket.
- Removed the top shock bolt, and pushed the shock towards the rear of the bike.
- Removed the swingarm bolt.
- Removed the head stay engine mounts.
- Removed the lower engine mount bolts.

The engine can then be lifted up just enough to get clearance to remove the starter motor. We used tyre levers to lift the engine and it would help if you have two people to assist with this.

The starter motor had a large build up of carbon, which we cleaned with contact cleaner and scotch brite pads. The positive brush was also worn and surface was no longer flat. We flipped over the brush but we suspect that the the brushes will need to be replaced soon. We haven't yet been able to find a brush replacement kit for Mitsuba SM18 starter motor that come installed on the bike.

Bike now starts with half a press of the button.

Hope this helps.
Keegan

Postby Keegan » Thu May 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Does anyone know if you can get a brush kit for these starter motors?
Keegan

Postby thecat » Wed May 10, 2017 11:38 am

I just matched up the brushes, bearing and seal. Non were special parts, there all available.
But if you live in the UK, theres a really helpful dealer called Steve Plain Motorcycles, they sell a kit with all the parts in.
http://steve-plain.co.uk/betarraccessories.htm
thecat

Postby ONyX57 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:08 pm

thecat wrote:I just matched up the brushes, bearing and seal. Non were special parts, there all available.
But if you live in the UK, theres a really helpful dealer called Steve Plain Motorcycles, they sell a kit with all the parts in.
http://steve-plain.co.uk/betarraccessories.htm

Do you have the part numbers for the brushes, seal, bearing?
ONyX57

Postby babelfish » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Keegan wrote:I had to do some maintenance on my starter motor this week, with my bike having 300 hours on it.

We did the following:
- Removed the tank.
- Removed the exhaust, both header and silencer.
- Lifted up the subframe by removing the bottom two screws, loosening the top two screws and the air boot hose clamp.
- Took off the chain from the rear sprocket.
- Removed the top shock bolt, and pushed the shock towards the rear of the bike.
- Removed the swingarm bolt.
- Removed the head stay engine mounts.
- Removed the lower engine mount bolts.

The engine can then be lifted up just enough to get clearance to remove the starter motor. We used tyre levers to lift the engine and it would help if you have two people to assist with this.

Hope this helps.

This was of great help when I replaced my starter today.
I didn't read the post for quite some time so I forgot to remove the top shock bolt, silencer and the chain, but I had no problem removing the starter.
But I did remove the spark plug the kick arm and the took the carburetor out (stil hanging i cables).

The original were probably ok but with worn out brushes. I'll replace them and keep it as spare og sell it.
babelfish

Postby aj_mariner » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:03 pm

A couple hours under 300. Going to be doing this soon. Mine got worse in cold weather. Changed battery, checked all connections, replaced diodes and capacitor, tried jumper cable direct from battery to starter and it works intermittently: it will just spin, engage bendix and sound like it doesn’t have enough ass to crank the engine, or work with no problem. This is all on a fresh fully charged battery.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby oldman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Beta 300rr starter removal is a PITA!! :evil:
Current rides, 21 Beta 200RR, 19 Beta 500rrs, 01 Honda 200r, 99 GasGas TXT321, 82 Yamaha YZ490, 83 Yamaha YZ250, 59 Harley Davidson ST165,
Past rides to long to list.
oldman

Next

Return to Electrical & Wiring