Electrical issues, need to check this out!

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Electrical issues, need to check this out!

Postby bikesparky » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:21 am

Leccie issues and Italian spaghetti...For everyone who has electrical issues with the Beta I suggest you have a look at the following. I had engine kill not working, indicator erratic and a host of other issues. Unfortunately the electrical design team had too much vino after Friday lunch and decided to copy the wiring harness from the Italian Husky, problems included. They fitted a negative joint exactly where the harness flexes all the time if you move the bars.... which we all do. Anyway it solves a lot of problems when fixed...enjoy!
Attachments
Issue3.jpg
not good!
Issue3.jpg (358.05 KiB) Viewed 15480 times
Issue2.jpg
Pulled out wires.
Issue2.jpg (326.97 KiB) Viewed 15480 times
Issue1.jpg
Trouble spot
Issue1.jpg (255.55 KiB) Viewed 15480 times
Last edited by bikesparky on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bikesparky

Re: Electrical issues, need to check this out!

Postby webmaster » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 am

FYI - instead of using photobucket, you can attach photos to the post. See the "upload attachment" tab below the text entry box when posting.

This website is on it's own server - so we don't have disk space or bandwidth restrictions. e.g. the size of photo you can upload is larger than your typical forum, etc.

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby hooter » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Hey bikesparky, thanks for your post. This is very timely, I'm having some grounding issues and I think you might have hit on the source of the trouble. Would you mind reposting your pictures in line in this thread please?
hooter

Postby bikesparky » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:37 pm

Fixed the photobucket issue. Hadn't used it for a while, didn't know they changed the system.
I have heaps of pics linked to another site... sh**!
Best way to loose customers... might swap it over and delete the account!
bikesparky

Postby Enmerdeur » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:07 pm

Switched to these guys

http://imgur.com/
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby Yrocmoto » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:49 pm

I had electrical issues and that ground bundle was the culprit. Was kinda hard to find because I was grounding to the frame when trouble shooting and everything worked when I tested that way. Then I found that ground mess.
Yrocmoto

Postby Darkside » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:38 am

Oh Man, that's ugly. what's the best way to repair a mess like that? solder it all up?
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby bryanaverill » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:58 am

What bike model and is it the same on a 2017 250RR?
bryanaverill

Postby bikesparky » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:00 pm

Darkside wrote:Oh Man, that's ugly. what's the best way to repair a mess like that? solder it all up?

I had to solder a bit wire in between to make the wires slightly longer as they are snapped off and the broken ones are obviously too short now. What I did is stripped them all equal length and soldered both sides on a bit of thicker gauge multi strand wire. I heat shrinked the lot and taped it up for now. I'm aware that soldering is not the best solution as it doesn't flex and can break if it is, but there is no easy solution to this. I moved the point where the harness bends away from that spot by removing the P clip behind the headlight and used cable ties to hold the harness in place but so it can move there. Also the harness seems to be better placed routed under the steering lock.
I'll leave the tape on for a bit (no rain here anyway) to see if nothing else is faulty as it's impossible to test every wire in there with out cutting them all. If all good I'll redo it with self amalgamating tape. I couldn't find any other faulty wires for now, so that stupid negative joint is the main issue. :evil:

bryanaverill wrote:What bike model and is it the same on a 2017 250RR?

I'm pretty sure all models will have that joint there, regardless of age or model... :cry:
NOT a good spot or good practice to put that there or use a connection like that... :roll:
bikesparky

Postby hooter » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:24 pm

First the oil injection capacitor, now this mess. Not impressed with the electrical design on the Beta. They do all their hiring at bus stops or what?

Anyway - good find Bikesparky! Looks like I need to check the harness on my 300RR, I suspect this will solve my problem. Thanks!
hooter

Next

Return to Electrical & Wiring